Forum_account wrote:
If Tiberath wants to make silly and unfair rules for the sake of making silly and unfair rules, there are places to do that.

The rule is neither silly nor unfair. As explained in previous posts submitting a game which has been published and subsequently polished before the contest has even started is unfair to the rest of the entrants. It's not in the spirit of the competition to submit such a game, it's just someone trying to scoop up some prize money.

If Tib happened to throw out some guidelines saying it must be a game about turtles or the source can't be over 8k, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Hiro's game just happens to meet the qualifications though, so now we're going to have this big stink on a competition with some great prizes.

A well-structured contest stands a better chance of generating good games than a badly structured one. It's a garbage in, garbage out type of thing.

I don't think my entry is garbage.
Just to throw in my two cents, although I think the rules are a little vague it's not really uncommon to have an "old projects can't be submitted" rule, and although that does introduce the question of why started-but-finished games are excluded while started-but-unfinished ones usually are not, I think it boils down to what was said earlier: enforceability. I think it'd be great if contests always required people to start from scratch, but realistically there's no way to make that happen. That said however, it's not at all uncommon for entrants to gut an old project and take the best pieces for use in a contest, and I see nothing wrong with that at all, whether the old project was finished or not. I think the point is to make a game that is, in some significant way, new. If the author is doing some recycling under the hood, nobody really cares.

I debated on whether to include such a rule in the CCII, but in the end I just settled for declaring past entries ineligible. If someone has a game that they can compress down to 8K within the structure of the rules, it's legal. Maybe not the smartest move on my part, but we'll see. For the most part the first contest spawned a lot of original entries.
I'll try to enter. I could use the money to buy a capture card, and it gives me incentive to get off my ass and make that puzzle game.
SuperAntx wrote:
It's not in the spirit of the competition to submit such a game, it's just someone trying to scoop up some prize money.

Obviously, I'm just trying to get money rather than test my skills against other developers.
And HtDK... do you really belong in this contest or would you prefer programming prostitution?
@Forum_account: I'll take that as you're not participating. Okay then. This chat was fun and all, but it's now over. Your input is no longer needed nor desired.
Moonlight Memento wrote:
And HtDK... do you really belong in this contest or would you prefer programming prostitution?

I'm not even sure how to respond to that...
Can we create more than one casual game? =D
Ganing wrote:
Can we create more than one casual game? =D

Read back roughly 40 - 60 comments and you'll see my answer to this question is: Go nuts.
I think this game I made tonight is disqualified which is fine... It was a derailing whim but I figured I should double check anyway.

HuckDunt

ts
Tsfreaks wrote:
HuckDunt

Just as a side note: The hit recognition is horrible. I would clearly click the duck but it would not recognize it as a hit. Also, I recommend using Click() as shooting, double clicking is tedious.
RJTaylor wrote:
Tsfreaks wrote:
HuckDunt

Just as a side note: The hit recognition is horrible. I would clearly click the duck but it would not recognize it as a hit. Also, I recommend using Click() as shooting, double clicking is tedious.

It is single click to shoot!?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5