ID:100611

Keywords: competition
I remember way back when I was a junior DM programmer, there were always competitions that looked interesting enough to have a crack at. But I never did. I'd see names like "Lummox JR", "DarkCampainger" or "GhostAnime" and think to myself "these guys are way better than I am, I don't have a hope. Nah, forget it".

That's (quite obviously) the attitude of failure. And something I want to discourage for my . It doesn't matter that people with years of DM experience are going against you, that's not what I'm judging on. As stated, I don't care about your code, if it's untidy, resource draining or just plain bad. You still have a chance.

If your game is playable and fun, you just might win. Don't be put off by the bigger guys who'll have that fancy pixel movement or explosive projectile system. It's not about that. It's (supposedly) about the enjoyment of creating games (where actually it's probably more about that $100.00 of cold hard cash looking mighty exciting. Whereas in my case, it's trying to bring a small flood of decent and fun games into BYOND).

I've set up a forum on the off chance people are looking to discuss ideas, recruit others and maybe participate in some good old community bonding.

If community participation and the overall result of the competition is a success. I'll host another relatively soon. If Casual becomes a stronger guild for it, all the more reason to up the prizes. Just don't think "Ohh, another competition later with better prizes, I'll hold off until that one". 'Cause the next one isn't about making completely original games. ;)

Get too it.
I'm getting to it as fast as I can possibly go. Stop rushing me D=
So does polish count for anything? Or do we just have to have the game mostly playable? And most importantly it just has to be fun right?
If you release a polished game, good on you. But strictly speaking, not really. Provided the game is enjoyable, there are no game crashing bugs or enjoyment ruining exploits, graphics are your own or freely released icon packs (not stolen released icon packs) and you've made an effort to design your own interface, everyone has a chance at winning.

You're looking for concept, enjoyment and originality. How you choose to implement those is entirely your doing. If you make a game that's entirely interface based, good on you. If you scrap the entire interface, and have just a map with on-screen objects as an interface, good on you again.

Think outside the box of design while staying inside the cube of casual.
I'll not be put off by competition, but I will be put off over the idea of developing a game for the casuals on account of how that's deeply contrary to my game development modus operandi. ;)
And what exactly constitutes original? I have been considering brining a card game that my family(and as far as I know only my family) knows how to play for some time now. And would like to put it in the contest.
Geldonyetich wrote:
I'll not be put off by competition, but I will be put off over the idea of developing a game for the casuals on account of how that's deeply contrary to my game development modus operandi. ;)

$100.00 prize says you'll submit something.

And what exactly constitutes original? I have been considering brining a card game that my family(and as far as I know only my family) knows how to play for some time now. And would like to put it in the contest.

If that's the case, all you had to do was not say anything and submit the game as your own. To everyone else, it'd look completely original and none would be the wiser.

And come to think of it, that would probably still be the case. It's still an original game is it not?
Tiberath wrote:
$100.00 prize says you'll submit something.

Maybe if I can come up with something novel that the casual players can enjoy. It's just that "casual" holds a nasty throne in my head engraved with the concept of thousands of mainstream developers dumbing down their games.
Geldonyetich wrote:
Maybe if I can come up with something novel that the casual players can enjoy. It's just that "casual" holds a nasty throne in my head engraved with the concept of thousands of mainstream developers dumbing down their games.

Pong was casual you know. =(
Tiberath wrote:

If that's the case, all you had to do was not say anything and submit the game as your own. To everyone else, it'd look completely original and none would be the wiser.

And come to think of it, that would probably still be the case. It's still an original game is it not?

Well I also was wondering if we could base games off of preexisting games, like take an idea or two from them etc. ;)
Sinfall wrote:
Well I also was wondering if we could base games off of preexisting games, like take an idea or two from them etc. ;)

Basing on and taking a couple of ideas are two separate things. You can not base a game off another, but you can borrow a few minor concepts.
So would something like Feval not qualify? ( the idea being that is heavily based off the boomerman series etc)
Sinfall wrote:
So would something like Feval not qualify? ( the idea being that is heavily based off the boomerman series etc)

Probably not, no.

You're not really putting your imagination through any rigorous testing with basing a game off another, are you?
Tiberath wrote:
Sinfall wrote:

Probably not, no.

You're not really putting your imagination through any rigorous testing with basing a game off another, are you?

nah just procrastination. I mean trying to have a clear understanding of your definition of originality.
You're over thinking, the first step to non-success.
Can I submit more than one game? Then another question to follow that question, if I can submit more than one game, can I win multiple placed prizes? In other words can I submit three games, win first, second, and third place and get $175?
Ulterior Motives wrote:
Can I submit more than one game? Then another question to follow that question, if I can submit more than one game, can I win multiple placed prizes? In other words can I submit three games, win first, second, and third place and get $175?

As for the first question, in the last post's comments Tiberath said, "Go nuts." in response to that same question. As for the second one, if your three are the best three I wouldn't see why you couldn't win all three prizes, but it would probably be unlikely that anyone would win all 3.
Cody123100 wrote:
Ulterior Motives wrote:

As for the first question, in the last post's comments Tiberath said, "Go nuts." in response to that same question. As for the second one, if your three are the best three I wouldn't see why you couldn't win all three prizes, but it would probably be unlikely that anyone would win all 3.

You've never seen a BYOND contest, I would be surprised if 3 people enter this contest.
Cody123100 wrote:
Ulterior Motives wrote:

You've never seen a BYOND contest, I would be surprised if 3 people finish a game for this contest.
$100.00 is what I would have considered to be enough for someone to submit a game. Especially with Lummox's 8k competition going as well.

If someone can submit a game to both competitions, within the boundaries of both competitions and win first place for both competitions, they walk away with $150.00 USD. How is that not inviting? If anything, I'd say running both competitions at the same time will encourage people to join both. Thus resulting in lots of completed (albeit 8k) casual games. It's an interesting scenario, I'm curious to see how it plays out, especially considering the drastic judging criteria on both.

You need more faith in BYOND.
Page: 1 2