ID:100653

Redundant
Applies to:Dream Maker

This feature has already been implemented, or is already achievable with existing methods.
I am hoping that some feature will be available for Byond where you can easily hit a print button and it will format + print your code in the proper coloring (or black and white if selected) out of your printer. I have seen other languages have this feature, and think that it would be very useful to developers for reading through complicated topics. Having a copy of it that you can mark up with a pencil and paper, easily accessible, would be very nice. I really would like to see this become a feature, and hope that it is supported by others.
That is rather really neat and I personally haven't seen this requested before.

I would second this.
As a temporary solution, you can copy it to notepad++, and save it as a .c, so it gets c syntax highlighting (which is close for what you want, I can imagine).
I think this also would be great when I don't have access to a computer but want to work on my current project, with the current source, by hand.
OrangeWeapons wrote:
I think this also would be great when I don't have access to a computer but want to work on my current project, with the current source, by hand.

I agree. I do most of my code producing via paper and pen because I cannot afford a netbook/laptop for when I'm mobile and I would hate to have to write down all that I've programmed. DivineTraveller's alternative is nice and all but you would have to get Notepad++ in the first place, then copy+paste the code, then save/print.
Maximus_Alex2003 wrote:
OrangeWeapons wrote:

I agree. I do most of my code producing via paper and pen...

Ditto.
Great way to review your code while having no access to a computer. When I was more into programming, I used to print the code for whatever my current hobby project was to review on the train. Unfortunately this is of less benefit to me as I will probably never get a proper printer with color support ;).
DivineTraveller wrote:
As a temporary solution, you can copy it to notepad++, and save it as a .c, so it gets c syntax highlighting (which is close for what you want, I can imagine).

Or you can just open the .dm files with Notepad++ and select C++ as the language.
Vermolius wrote:
DivineTraveller wrote:

Or you can just open the .dm files with Notepad++ and select C++ as the language.

Or you can open up notepad++ and select a Custom DM language :)
Masschaos100 wrote:

Sure, but then you have to define that custom language, or find the definition for it online.

Vermolius wrote:
Masschaos100 wrote:

Sure, but then you have to define that custom language, or find the definition for it online.
well its not THAT much of a hassle but it wouldbe nice to just do it in the compiler :)

Masschaos100 wrote:
well its not THAT much of a hassle but it wouldbe nice to just do it in the compiler :)

Indeed, I was just simplifying the workaround.

Vermolius wrote:
Masschaos100 wrote:

Indeed, I was just simplifying the workaround.

Still, the workaround takes time to set up and isn't exactly easy to do, or perfect.

OrangeWeapons wrote:
Still, the workaround takes time to set up and isn't exactly easy to do, or perfect.

ctrl + A
ctrl + C
click
click
ctrl + V
click
click
ctrl + P

Seems pretty simple, quick, and easy.
Vermolius wrote:
OrangeWeapons wrote:

ctrl + A
ctrl + C
click
click
ctrl + V
click
click
ctrl + P

Seems pretty simple, quick, and easy.

Most programs don't have to do that, though. (And still isn't perfect!)

:-(
Well, I'm all for this, someone should go spam lummox's blog about this :P
I'd really like to see this implemented. It would be especially good when I want to work on a program, but can't actually bring a computer to places.

I would like to know if Tom or Lummox Jr have any commentary on this. Would it even be that hard to do?
open the *.dm in notepad++ add the custom coloring to it. Once you create the coloring once, it's as simple as opening the file in notepad++ and printing
Ter13 resolved issue (Redundant)

Software code is extremely rarely useful in printed format.