Doomed Dreams

by DivineTraveller
Doomed Dreams
This is what happens when a man dreams... of boxes.
ID:100965

Yesterday I released my game, Doomed Dreams. I got a lot of positive feedback, a little bit of negative feedback (to be expected), but all-in-all, it was pretty cool. I've thrown in a handful of updates between now and then, such as medals, a few bugfixes (courtesy of Forum_account), and general repair to the map (I still did not take out those random shooters, though).

In addition to that, I sortof threw in a little note saying 'here's the source!', but I never really elaborated why I decided to release it.

I decided to pick a lot of commonalities I can recall from platformers. I left my own small notes here and there in the source about other things that can be added (I'm pretty sure there's a note about moon boots, and how easy they are to add in, as well as some commented out ideas that I just haven't finished yet), and I was really hoping it could be seen as a somewhat useful resource for people to just pick up and run with, to make their own platformers easily (without having to go through the trouble of implementing everything again, that is).

I'm definitely going to continue to update it over the coming weeks if I can, I mean, if nothing else but to add in one more random stat at the end, sure. I will try to add more of the things I mentioned/noted (as well as some of those I did not), and hopefully create a nice database of generic objects that can be tweaked for any given reason.

I'd also like to open this up as a query for things I might've missed. My list right now looks like this:
  • Real ladders, not the cheesy ones that I have in right now - those were just a quick implementation to play with (and they're still pretty fun!).
  • Falling objects, instead of shooting objects, they just fall from the sky (or fall in any direction, really), but instead, these would only trigger once. Unless the room was reset (there would need to be a better management on that, such as a /room datum, or some better map functionality), or something along those lines.
  • Friction walls, so you can slide down the side of the wall, and possibly jump off of them in a direction. Obviously, this could be translated to a floor to make walking slower, or something too.
  • AI, although a really low priority, simplistic beings that do a bit more than sit on a wall and shoot at you. Try to run into you, shoot you, things along those lines.

Did I miss anything?
The handling of sloped tiles could use some work if you feel like it. In particular, bumping them from any side except the top is problematic.

Friction walls, so you can slide down the side of the wall, and possibly jump off of them in a direction. Obviously, this could be translated to a floor to make walking slower, or something too.

I'm not sure if the on_right and on_left procs were in the demo I provided. They're basically the equivalent of on_ground for walls. They can easily be used in the movement loop to achieve that effect.

Real ladders, not the cheesy ones that I have in right now - those were just a quick implementation to play with (and they're still pretty fun!).

I have an implementation of ladders laying around somewhere if you're interested.
Forum_account wrote:
The handling of sloped tiles could use some work if you feel like it. In particular, bumping them from any side except the top is problematic.

How do you mean problematic? They do act a bit weird, I'll admit, but I can't really pin my finger on it.

Friction walls, so you can slide down the side of the wall, and possibly jump off of them in a direction. Obviously, this could be translated to a floor to make walking slower, or something too.

I'm not sure if the on_right and on_left procs were in the demo I provided. They're basically the equivalent of on_ground for walls. They can easily be used in the movement loop to achieve that effect.

They are, I'll see if I can't get that to work for me. Thanks again! (I really need to look into these more..)

Real ladders, not the cheesy ones that I have in right now - those were just a quick implementation to play with (and they're still pretty fun!).

I have an implementation of ladders laying around somewhere if you're interested.

Sure, I'd definitely accept it. It's probably a lot better than my slidy-ladders by a mile :P

DivineTraveller wrote:
How do you mean problematic? They do act a bit weird, I'll admit, but I can't really pin my finger on it.

I think that any intersection is assumed to be from the top.

/|
/ | +---+
/ | | |
/ | |<- |
+----+----+----+----+

When you move left and hit the sloped tile you'll be placed on top of it.

Sure, I'd definitely accept it. It's probably a lot better than my slidy-ladders by a mile :P

Ok, I'll keep you posted.

Forum_account wrote:
DivineTraveller wrote:

I think that any intersection is assumed to be from the top.

>          /|
> / | +---+
> / | | |
> / | |<- |
> +----+----+----+----+
>

When you move left and hit the sloped tile you'll be placed on top of it.

Oh, I see what you mean. I'd actually worked the map so that was prevented, but earlier on, I saw that a lot. I'll see if I can figure something out.

Under what license is the source released?
Airjoe wrote:
Under what license is the source released?

GPL? I can't do much with it, since the original demo is not mine, it's just an adaptation with more things in it.
DivineTraveller wrote:
GPL? I can't do much with it, since the original demo is not mine, it's just an adaptation with more things in it.

So you just expanded, this wasn't written from scratch?

BYOND should really have a "License" section on any resource hub. Technically, you do not have the right to redistribute pixel_projecticles unless Shadowdarke gives you (or everyone) explicit permission. It also depends on how Forum_Account released his/her pixel movement source. You can't just release that source code zip as GPL (or BSD or anything) since it contains code you do not have the right to license.

Welcome to the clusterfuck that is source code copyright.
Airjoe wrote:
DivineTraveller wrote:

So you just expanded, this wasn't written from scratch?

BYOND should really have a "License" section on any resource hub. Technically, you do not have the right to redistribute pixel_projecticles unless Shadowdarke gives you (or everyone) explicit permission. It also depends on how Forum_Account released his/her pixel movement source.

Welcome to the clusterfuck that is source code copyright.

Thanks for that. I'll stop releasing things when I use libraries from now on, then.
By no means was that my point- only that BYOND has unknowingly set up a bad infrastructure for releasing projects as open source. It's no doubt that ShadowDarke wanted his code to be used (and likely shared, at least since BYONDscape is dead and he's not profiting from it anymore), but the bottom line is you do not have that right (redistribution). Because BYOND didn't prompt ShadowDarke for information, and ShadowDarke may have been ignorant on code licensing, we're now stuck in a limbo with his/her source-available, but not 'open source', code.

Believe me, really, I'd love to see more open-source on BYOND (be it BYOND or BYOND projects). I'm not even asking you to take down your code or stop releasing the source. I'm just trying to spread some information.

It would be really cool if we could contact ShadowDarke and ask if he/she'd stop by briefly to properly license his code (preferrably BSD, since it'd fit well in with BYOND). Forum_account is still active this community and hopefully he/she will properly license current and future code releases.
BYOND should really have a "License" section on any resource hub

It would fit nicely next to the "report rip..." link. I think someone needs to take this a little less seriously.

What's wrong with being serious?
I just posted the demo: http://www.byond.com/developer/Forum_account/ SidescrollerDemo

It has an implementation of ladders. Like everything else in the demo, it's not quite as complete as I'd like it to be. Maybe I'll have more time next week. I also need to get platforms in there.

As long as Airjoe is okay with it you can use the code.
Forum_account wrote:
I just posted the demo: http://www.byond.com/developer/Forum_account/ SidescrollerDemo

It has an implementation of ladders. Like everything else in the demo, it's not quite as complete as I'd like it to be. Maybe I'll have more time next week. I also need to get platforms in there.

Okay, I'll run it past him once more before I grab it and re-release it in one of my upcoming updates.
Forum_account wrote:

Why don't you just put on the hub "This demo is released under the New BSD License" and in each of your code files prepend the following text:

"
Copyright (c) <year>, <copyright holder>
All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
* Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
* Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
* Neither the name of the <organization> nor the
names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products
derived from this software without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND
ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL <COPYRIGHT HOLDER> BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
(INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND
ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
(INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
"

What license is the New BSD License licensed under? I'm not sure if I can use that text you gave me.

To people who don't understand what a license is they look scary (even if they don't say anything scary). Anyone who knows what a license is knows that they're almost entirely nonsense, especially in this type of setting.
Except it's not nonsense at all. Keep releasing code that we can't legally use though, you're really helping out.
If you think that after releasing code and helping DivineTraveller fix it up that I'll take legal action against someone for using my code, then please don't use it. If you put more faith in a block of cryptic text than your own ability to read and understand someone's intentions then you're a sad, overly-serious person.
I wanted to shoot myself while playing it because I died literally 100 times :(
Duelmaster409 wrote:
I wanted to shoot myself while playing it because I died literally 100 times :(

That's not bad. It could be worse. :P
Page: 1 2