ID:1011488

Error as listed in title. Screenshot of make install and subsequent attempt to check version attached. All advice welcomed.

http://s17.postimage.org/xyltlfynz/beaner1.png

EDIT: Solution found in another thread. However, Dream Daemon kills all connections after about 10-15 seconds.
Could you post the link to that solution please.

Is DreamDaemon closing or just the connections getting closed?

Did you try opening the port with IPTABLES ?

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -d 0/0 -s 0/0 --dport PORT -j ACCEPT &

Where PORT is the number you are using.
http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=751758 -- Thread where I found the solution.

Did as instructed (although it was a fresh install of Debian with only an allow all rule on IPTables), problem persists.

Checked with provider, no changes to their firewalls have been made either.

Just for clarification sake, I can connect to most games I host (not all, specifically games compiled on much older versions). Although generally I get disconnected in 15 seconds or so, often in the midst of character creation. Strangely, if I use no commands, Dream Daemon never kills the connection.
In response to EXGenesis
I'm unaware of whether you have prior experience with linux or not, so please don't be offended:

Are you running DreamDaemon as a background process (ending with a &) or perhaps in a separate screen?
Yeah, specifically through a PHP script.

$a = shell_exec("netstat -nlt | grep 1337"); //Check to see if that port is already in use. Or DreamDaemon is still running.
if(!$a) { //If it isn't, relaunch DreamDaemon.
popen("DreamDaemon /home/EXGenesis/hostgames/EXGen/LSX.dmb 1337 -trusted &", "r");
echo 'EXGens Server was down, reloading.';
}

Same results when opening manually through PuTTY, & or not.
Instead of popen try shell_exec();
Tried. Script never finishes.
EDIT: Reduced script to just one shell_exec, eventually finished after a couple of minutes. Problem remains.

<?
$a = shell_exec("netstat -nlt | grep 7125"); //Check to see if that port is already in use. Or DreamDaemon is still running.
if(!$a) { //If it isn't, relaunch DreamDaemon.
$output=shell_exec("DreamDaemon /home/EXGenesis/hostgames/Tens/LSX.dmb 7125 -trusted &");
echo 'Tens Server was down, reloading.';
}

?>
Isn't LSX that dragon universe game? Have you tried another game?

Sorry just trying to pin point the issue, the script seems to run DreamDaemon, it's odd that dd would kill the connections which is why I'm assuming the game is the issue.
Yeah, it's Dragon Universe. I'm the only person having an issue with hosting it, despite the fact I hosted 5 servers of it a couple of weeks ago. (Before a node failure at the data centre.)

Only change was going from 4GB RAM to 6GB RAM and 32 bit to 64bit. (Due to data loss, free upgrade and free for 6 months.)

I've had a friend test with their linux VPS, no issues. A friend also tested on OSX, no issues.

Dragonn tried stripping all code that occurs upon the time of the disconnects and yet, the result is still the same. I just find it peculiar that it worked before but not now.
Have you tried launching DreamDaemon from the command line?

I know that shell_exec isn't able to start background processes simply by tacking the ampersand on the end - you need to do something with its output IIRC. It sounds like the server is closing because your max execution time for PHP is being reached.
popen has a few quirks as well. If it worked with popen before, perhaps your new server has php safe_mode enabled now?
The Daemon runs fine, I got shell_exec working in the end anyway. popen() was working before and still works, the problem is that whenever somebody logs in, they can do anything as normal at the New/Load screen, but if you attempt to play, it results in "Dream Daemon killed connection."

EDIT: For clarification, the "Dream Daemon killed connection" error occurs regardless of hosted from root or via shell_exec or via popen().

Checked for safe_mode in the php configuration, it was off.

http://falsecreations.com/info.php

Starting the process via command line still has the same issues. Strangely, I can't even connect to older versions I tried to host.

byond://falsecreations.com:7125

That's the server if you want to see the problem yourself. The problem is somewhat inconsistent as sometimes you can finish creation, other times you cannot.

http://falsecreations.com/maintain.php

The script to put the server up if it fails to connect.
In response to EXGenesis
I get "Dream Daemon killing connection." before the game even begins to load - there used to be a bug that caused this, but it was fixed back in 470.
I'm sure Tom/Lummox will be able to determine what's up.
In response to Murrawhip
Murrawhip wrote:
I get "Dream Daemon killing connection." before the game even begins to load - there used to be a bug that caused this, but it was fixed back in 470.
I'm sure Tom/Lummox will be able to determine what's up.

This is rather strange. Me and Dragonn are both able to connect fine, yet you and two friends of mine who I asked to test get the same issue as you.

How would I go about alerting either Tom or Lummox to the problem?
Best to raise a bug report, if you feel pretty sure the issue sits at the platform level:

http://www.byond.com/forum/?forum=5

If you can generate a small test-case program they can use to re-create it, that'd be awesome. Otherwise, explain that you tried to do so and it didn't pan out well, and they'll get in touch for some for some live debugging on your server or similar such. Providing your game's URL as you did above will help just to let them see the problem in action, and see it exists.
It let me log in before I cleared my cache. Problem is if I tried doing anything it kicked me. And after reading some things about this bug someone said clearing the cache made it worse. So I cleared my cache now it won't even let me log in it just says "Dream Daemon killing connection" on the BYOND splash screen thing.

Looks like the old bug wasn't properly fixed in 470. There's a few other topics about it too http://www.byond.com/ forum/?command=search&forum=5&text=%22dream+daemon+killing+c onnection%22

Quoting my post from BYOND help for more information.

Long story short. Reinstalled VPS, went about installing BYOND again as before. Went to host same game and version as before. Now all attempts to join that game either result in being unable to connect and recieving "Dream Daemon killed connection" or being able to get about halfway through character creation before the error occurs.

OS: Debian 6 (64 bit) (ia32-libs installed as per Nadrew's advice)
BYOND Versions: 494, 495, 496 (Tested all 3)
Compiler Versions: 495, 496, 497 (Compiled on Windows)
Client Versions: 494, 495, 496, 497

Any thoughts?
Okay, following a discussion with Lummox. I found the solution (although it was a rather trial and error method as he explained things to me.)

In the end, the solution was to CHMOD the .byond folder (in this case, both the one in /root/ and /var/www had permission errors) to 0777.

After that point, I had to just "make install" again and the problem was fixed. Hopefully this helps anyone else who runs into similar issues. Although, the error message is really not helpful at all.
In response to Murrawhip
Murrawhip wrote:
I know that shell_exec isn't able to start background processes simply by tacking the ampersand on the end

Strange just worked for me ;)
In response to EXGenesis
EXGenesis wrote:
Okay, following a discussion with Lummox. I found the solution (although it was a rather trial and error method as he explained things to me.)

In the end, the solution was to CHMOD the .byond folder (in this case, both the one in /root/ and /var/www had permission errors) to 0777.

After that point, I had to just "make install" again and the problem was fixed. Hopefully this helps anyone else who runs into similar issues. Although, the error message is really not helpful at all.

Perhaps you could ask Flame Sage or someone to create a 'common errors' topic sticky, we have similar topics in Dev Help. It'd list things like this, that 'no such file or directory', and 'cannot open shared object file', and links to topics demonstrating solutions.
Please navigate to the proper directory.... /byond/bin/ =P

Good to hear this problem was resolved, permissions can be a bit of a pain sometimes.
Page: 1 2