Space Station 13

by Exadv1
[Website] [Share]
ID:101170

Time for me to review a little favorite of mine. Space Station 13.

When I first started out on the game I had no clue what to do. It was about 6 months ago, and I just quit, and dismissed the game. A friend brought it up again to me so I decided to try it out again.

As I started up the game once again, I noticed the graphics were much different, and had new jobs. I became a security officer clueless on what to pick. I figured out the basic chat commands, and picked up the controls quite fast. Sure I used adminhelp every once in a while for things such as equpping items, and how to use items. After a while one of the admins got fed up with me asking so many questions (lol) and sent me the wiki. I spent a good hour reading it, and decided to join back in again. Since then I've picked up all the controls, and have played most of the jobs until I got them down.

Gameplay - 8/10
Where to start? First of all there is TONS of things to do in this game! From changing genes, to building bombs, Building a killer tomatoe army, I oculd go on, and on. The jobs are pretty diverse, and most of them are satisfying to play. Hell, I even found clown entertaining once. The gameplay itself is great, but could be a bit polished.

Presentation - 5/10
Now the graphics aren't amazing even for BYOND standards. Although they have been changed a lot, they still aren't the best. The textures are a bit bland, and the fire is pretty bad. The dynamic lighting adds a huge magical touch to hte game though.

Originality - 9/10
Very orginal storyline. It barely seems like it was ripped off of anything (Other then the movie "Alien")

Overall - 7/10
The game is very satisfying, and can suck you in for hours. Unfortunately bad admins, and griefers can ruin the game. I highly reccomend this to passive roleplayers, just don't expect top quality admins, and over-the-top graphics.

EDIT: Apparently I'm job banned from captain because I screwed up. I signed up for scientist, not captain. The syndies got a hold of the disc before I remembered hearing about it, and quickly ran to get it (My first time as captain, chosen at random) by blowing up the bridge. The station was destroyed, and everyone flamed me for about a round. Even one guy changed his name saying I was "best captain" sarcastically. You probably will hate the userbase, as I do.

EDIT: I love how these "Goons" Make fun of "Pubbies" by posting their conversations on a wiki. If you're a "Goon" I advise you stop atatcking those on the internet because you tend to be hated in real life.
Yeah. The playerbase is pretty bad. The dominant group consist of a group of people who will let prejudice roam around freely. I see the game more as an insult to BYOND than anything else. :(
Android Data wrote:
Yeah. The playerbase is pretty bad. The dominant group consist of a group of people who will let prejudice roam around freely. I see the game more as an insult to BYOND than anything else.

I am not sure how Space Station 13 should be considered an insult to BYOND.

Anyways, was the game's code released as public domain? If so, why don't you create a new hub to cater for those who dislike the goons' method of administration? If not, it's not like the BYOND staff would do anything, you still can create the hub.
RJTaylor wrote:
Android Data wrote:
Yeah. The playerbase is pretty bad. The dominant group consist of a group of people who will let prejudice roam around freely. I see the game more as an insult to BYOND than anything else.

I am not sure how Space Station 13 should be considered an insult to BYOND.

Anyways, was the game's code released as public domain? If so, why don't you create a new hub to cater for those who dislike the goons' method of administration? If not, it's not like the BYOND staff would do anything, you still can create the hub.

I don't beleive the code was released. Besides even if I did host my own, most would flock to the goon servers because they're always updated :(

EDIT: I don't much code, but I am good at editing the code. I guess I could base new items/parts etc. off of others, and just the edit anything needed to be fixed.
lolollololol u suk
Android Data wrote:
Yeah. The playerbase is pretty bad. The dominant group consist of a group of people who will let prejudice roam around freely. I see the game more as an insult to BYOND than anything else. :(

i consider cowed an even bigger insult
The peoples republic of china wrote:
Android Data wrote:

i consider cowed an even bigger insult

Cowed? I heard about that. I don't see the difference between Cow RP, and Cowed.
The admins suck ass i got banned on 2 servers for doing my job as a security officer and the admins ALWAYS have to interfere why can't they just fuck off and play.
On one server, the admin banned me for not having a "real" name, (mine was Coolcat1711 which I was going to change) when other players had first names only and numbers attached

In other words... the admins SUCK
all the fukcing admin are shit thay dont play the game and so thay say (oh you cant do that ban)
over all the game is fun :) ps all admins are dick
All admins are not dicks. It all depends on the server you play. And on the ones I've played, people who get banned are usually the ones being dicks.
Try the servers off the TGstation wiki. Those ones are pretty good, good admin base and players.
Hypatia is a pretty great server.
good job on resurrecting a 3 year old thread to chip in with pointless drivel. you did it. you're the best
Alium, nice server.
In response to Capt matt4 (#15)
Capt matt4 wrote:
Alium, nice server.

Good way to pointlessly advertise a server that couldn't possibly be better than Apollo Station.

Edit: trollface.png