In response to Carnwennan
Ah, I see. Well I doubt making the compiler multi-threaded will be remotely as difficult as the daemon/seeker would be. It's not a big deal but, I think lot's of people would be ecstatic if the compiler was multithreaded... should I make a separate feature request or is it planned anyways?
Well, one thing we can try is offloading compilations to dm.exe automatically. There are a few issues with that but I can take a look.
In response to Tom
Doesn't seem like a good idea, as some people may use the zip package of BYOND's tools instead of the installer, you won't have any registry entries to help the compiler find dm.exe

[EDIT] Unless you ask the user to find dm.exe if no reg entries exist of course.
We just assume dm.exe is in the same directory as dreammaker.exe.
In response to Tom
True, I assume that's what you do for DreamMaker when your compile + run with the zip package.
What about adding a new function to the Build tab, something like "Check syntax"? It would just check for errors, but without the actual compiling process.
Tom resolved issue with message:
DM now uses a second thread for compile & update operations, so that you can continue working in the foreground; the process can be aborted with a new button on the UI. Note: maps cannot be edited while compilation/update is in progress.
Can I get an Amen!?
Wow a multi thread DM now all we need is a multi thread DS...
Those are two completely different kinds of problem, if you're referring to multi-threading other people's code.
DM users by and large aren't ready for thread management.

You can implement coprocessing of large amounts of data using BYOND's external library functions. You just won't be able to access data you don't explicitly expose to the external library.
:)
Page: 1 2