ID:101366

Resolved
Applies to:Website

This issue has been resolved.
Using Page Speed plugin for Firebug in Firefox, I found that the BYOND website has some areas in which it could improve as far as speed is concerned. I don't expect this to be the top of anyone's list, but something hopefully simple to do down the road.

Notes things like:
"There are 6 CSS files served from www.byond.com. They should be combined into as few files as possible."

"Compressing the following resources with gzip could reduce their transfer size by 58.2KiB (75% reduction)."

"The following cacheable resources have a short freshness lifetime. Specify an expiration at least one week in the future for the following resources:"

"Minifying the following CSS resources could reduce their size by 7.0KiB (20% reduction)."

"Serve the following static resources from a domain that doesn't set cookies:"

"Minifying the following HTML resources could reduce their size by 13.8KiB (32% reduction)."

Obviously I won't list the "following resources" because it'll bloat this page, but you can see for yourself with the tools mentioned above.
I'm not sure reducing the number of CSS files is as viable an option, but I agree it'd be nice to allow for gzip compression. I noticed a while back that I think there's at least one reason that isn't happening, so it'd be good to revisit that. Inlining the JavaScript has also been on my list for some time.
The other day we implemented gzip and that seems to have made a big difference to the website. At the same time I also upgraded the download scripts for member icons, hub icons, and member files so that they could return a 304 when appropriate.

Once the new search goes live many of the pages will also be serving more compressed HTML by yanking out useless whitespace; I may try to shoehorn that optimization into more of the pages before we take it live. Later on I'd like to work out minifying the CSS as well, which should be simple enough since the main CSS file we use is generated from a master on an as-needed basis. Although, minifying the CSS probably won't reap too much benefit since it's cacheable. Serving the CSS used on member blogs as a separate file would also be helpful; the only trick is we'd need to store some kind of date for its last modification so caching would work correctly.

One of the projects I have in mind as well is no longer inlining a lot of our JavaScript (particularly the bits we use for Ajax), and instead relying on static files to serve those. I've been learning jQuery and intend to start implementing that in various places as time permits, particularly in replacing the homebrew fader on the hub pages with something using the jQuery framework. I'd actually like to spruce up our thumbnail viewer as well, and give screenshots a proper image gallery to work with, stuff like that. Also I think the reference pages might benefit from some sprucing up as far as expandable/collapsible trees; I'd go as far as loading content via Ajax but there we run into the browser history problem, which presently has no optimum solution.
Ter13 resolved issue