It's not irrational. Irrational would have been people saying your project sucks and not giving any reason why. On the contrary, we have given you reasons why.

Money is the biggest issue on the matter period. You're turning learning resources into some kind of exclusive membership club for yourself. Taking away learning materials from the people without credit cards. You've also stated that you can earn by "submitting an asset", which is a completely ass-backwards way of learning. 8+ years ago when I started learning DM and I opened ZBT for the first time, if someone told me I had to pay money for it, and I could earn money by writing a tutorial in DM or making some art, I would have left the website immediately. Because I was in no way an artist and had no grasp of the language at all.

I'm done giving you specific reasons for why PopLava is a bad idea, you take them all as just some kind of personal hatred towards you, saying that people are irrational and that they're just slamming it cause they haven't used it. Nobody wants to use your terrible program and I await the day it goes down entirely.
Mikau wrote:
Money is the biggest issue on the matter period. You're turning learning resources into some kind of exclusive membership club for yourself. Taking away learning materials from the people without credit cards.

Did not BYONDScape do this as well, and it was later endorsed by BYOND?

8+ years ago when I started learning DM and I opened ZBT for the first time, if someone told me I had to pay money for it, and I could earn money by writing a tutorial in DM or making some art, I would have left the website immediately. Because I was in no way an artist and had no grasp of the language at all.

Great point. I would have left as well. I joined BYOND for several reason, first of all it allowed me to create an online game. Second, the language was fairly simple. Third, BYOND was completely free, I did not have to pay for the program nor most of the libraries offered. While I was 14 years old, I had no access to a credit card, which turned me away from Game Maker and towards BYOND.
RJTaylor wrote:
Did not BYONDScape do this as well, and it was later endorsed by BYOND?

I don't remember BYONDScape too thoroughly, but I do recall back in the day reading at least a dozen or two articles on there, and I never paid a dime... or a BYONDdime.
Mikau wrote:
I don't remember BYONDScape too thoroughly, but I do recall back in the day reading at least a dozen or two articles on there, and I never paid a dime... or a BYONDdime.

I did some research, BYONDScape paid its authors. Thus, Gughunter and crew had to gather that cash from some place. In order to use any of the libraries provided you must subscribe, which apparently cost $12 at the time. That is, until BYOND members came along and provided the service for free.

If I can recall, the articles were free, the libraries/demonstrations were not.
I was unaware of this, however had I known I would have apposed that as well. You should never have to pay anyone for learning materials, period. It's just stupid and wrong to charge money for someone to better themselves. That said, one would argue that I'm paying for learning right now by attending college. On the contrary, I'm paying for a sheet of paper to prove what I know, not for the knowledge itself.
i think its a fine idea. i wouldn't really download any libraries myself(but then again i'm no programmer), but its a good system simply for selling what you have, or for me giving me a purpose to draw something i've been wanting to draw with no game to draw it for. it just needs to pick up some momentum.
Zxcvdnm wrote:
i think its a fine idea. i wouldn't really download any libraries myself(but then again i'm no programmer), but its a good system simply for selling what you have, or for me giving me a purpose to draw something i've been wanting to draw with no game to draw it for. it just needs to pick up some momentum.

Momentum will come. We are still in beta after all. :) The version really should be 0.6. Anyway, we are really close to an official release so keep your ideas comin!! :)

You're not trying hard enough, in fact you must not be trying at all Zxcvdnm. Talk to Kyle/Audeuro/Evanx.
Mikau wrote:
You're not trying hard enough, in fact you must not be trying at all Zxcvdnm. Talk to Kyle/Audeuro/Evanx.

talk to him why?
Zxcvdnm wrote:
giving me a purpose to draw something i've been wanting to draw with no game to draw it for
Zxcvdnm wrote:
i wouldn't really download any libraries myself(but then again i'm no programmer), but its a good system simply for selling what you have, or for me giving me a purpose to draw something i've been wanting to draw with no game to draw it for.

*cough* http://www.byond.com/members/PixelArt/forum?forum=6 *cough*
Page: 1 2 3