ID:101914

RPG Sweeper is a combination of Minesweeper and an RPG. Instead of mines there are monsters. You reveal tiles like Minesweeper and use the numbers as clues to figure out where monsters are.

Each monster has a level. The number on a tile shows the sum of the levels of all ajdacent monsters. You can safely defeat a monster that is the same level as you or lower.

The goal of the game is to find the castle. You don't have to clear the entire map to win but it might help.

Controls

Click on a tile to expand it.
Use the arrow keys to move.
Press the space bar or 5 on the numpad to toggle the display of monsters.
Press R or 9 on the numpad when standing on a town to restore your health (this can only be done once at each town).
I was so close :(
Awesome, too bad I don't think it's possible to clear the final map completely though. I got as close as I could ;_;
There are enough level 1 monsters for you to reach level 2 without taking damage (and the same can be said for levels 3, 4, 5, and 6). The problem is that there are situations where you'll be out of moves that are certainly safe and you'll need to guess. If you're careful and lucky you should be able to clear the whole map.

There's no achievement for clearing the whole map yet, so don't go too nuts =)
All but two blocks, curses! And thanks for letting me know that Forum_account, guess I'll just have to try harder. After you add the achievement though I guess ^_^;;
Ok, I just posted an update with an achievement for clearing the whole map. You don't have to clear every tile, actually, you just need to clear the monsters.

I didn't plan for it to be this way but it turns out that it's insanely hard to get the achievement. There is absolutely no room for error.
Forum_account wrote:
Ok, I just posted an update with an achievement for clearing the whole map. You don't have to clear every tile, actually, you just need to clear the monsters.

Is that a new medal? I don't see it under standings.

Maybe he has spoiler on it.
I set the spoiler flag while testing it and forgot to un-set it. It should be visible now.
Master Sweeper: 1 try.
Vermolius wrote:
Master Sweeper: 1 try.

Gah, you weren't supposed to get it so quickly!

I'm working on more medals. I'd like to add a timer and have medals related to how quickly you can get to the castle. Have any of you paid attention to how long it takes to win? I'm not sure what a reasonable time limit would be.
I'll keep it in mind on my next run-through, but how about trophies for using as little moves as possible? Though that's already very similar to the time limit.
Not healing up
Not getting hit once
Can't think of much else besides that
This is a great game concept, and very well executed. I'm just disappointed that all the graphics come from other games. With original graphics, this would be a top notch game.
IainPeregrine wrote:
This is a great game concept, and very well executed. I'm just disappointed that all the graphics come from other games. With original graphics, this would be a top notch game.

I created 82 of the 137 icon states used in the game. You're also overestimating my artistic ability if you think that original graphics would improve the game.

Either find a way to make your negativity more constructive or find a different outlet for it.
Forum_account wrote:
Either find a way to make your negativity more constructive or find a different outlet for it.

Don't take it so harshly, the issue is that you've made a fun and original game but used unoriginal art assets. You may have modified or expounded on the assets you collected but they are no more yours for it.
I'm not taking it harshly, I'd just prefer if the feedback remained constructive. I'm perfectly okay with people saying "your game sucks!" if they explain why. At least that gives me something to work on.

Pointing out that the graphics aren't original is not constructive. The overstatement that none of the graphics are original also suggests that Iain wasn't trying to be constructive.
"With original graphics, this would be a top notch game."

I am trying to be constructive. What I've found in my time on BYOND is that you have a small window of time, between when users first hear about your game and when they've formed permanent opinions about it, to make the best impression. This first impression will determine how well your game does in the long term.

With all original resources this game could stand on its own legs and do very well, instead of being just another Dragon Quest tinker toy. It's sad that such a "a great game concept" that is "very well executed" will be judged in such a light, but for your fellow developers to sit back and pretend that it won't doesn't help you at all.

Perhaps you could have postponed releasing this game for a week while you asked some of the people on your pager if they would be willing to help out with graphics. Perhaps there are still some people out there who would be willing to donate some graphics.
IainPeregrine wrote:
"With original graphics, this would be a top notch game."

This is being snooty.

Perhaps there are still some people out there who would be willing to donate some graphics.

This is being constructive. I appreciate that.

I'm not sure I believe your point about the BYOND community. Looking at the hub it would appear that very few people appreciate originality as much as you suggest.

More to the point: I didn't use these graphics because I believe them to be the best. I used them because I could've spent a week drawing my own and still not come up with anything decent. If you'd like to donate graphics I'd certainly consider using them (though I am quite fond of the turfs, most of which I didn't make).
If you'd like to donate graphics I'd certainly consider using them (though I am quite fond of the turfs, most of which I didn't make).

If you'd like some custom made graphics, send me an email (my key at Gmail). We can discuss what you're looking for.
Why no download button?
Page: 1 2