ID:102028

That was probably the best part about this posting. From here on out, you'll have to listen to my bantering and ranting, thought I might entertain you atleast for a moment.

I think I'll dive right into the topic at this point, rather than lecture you all about how long it has been since I posted, and my life n' stuff. Anyways, diving down into it. It may just be me, but it seems to me that there is either A) A lack of fun, exciting roleplaying games, or B) a lack of players willing to play and stick with the roleplaying games that pop up from time to time.

I hate to sound like a broken record (seeing as there was another post about this), but from a quick search; the only roleplaying games that I can dig up are anime. It's usually Dragonball Z as well, something that sure, a lot of people are interested in, but I guess I could say I am looking for something different, you know? There sure are RP games such as Hazordhu II, and Lands of Legend that both are amazingly well done. Although it seems that the community for both has moved on, or isn't really - I can't quite put my finger on the word, perhaps open to new players, or atleast- that's what it feels like.

I've seen a number of small roleplaying games pop up on BYOND for a short amount of time, and then fade away quickly. I'd guess that this is due to the fact that not a lot of players look around for them, or maybe they didn't know of them. I may be oblivious, or I may just be stating the obvious, but I think that BYOND's RP sector is dying, or atleast isn't getting as much originality or refreshing ideas as other areas. It would be amazing to see a new roleplaying game pop up at some point, that isn't based on your generic anime, or a text based creation such as RP Unlimited.

I have decided to pull something out of a hat here, and try to give new roleplaying games that pop up a bit of a boost of popularity and exposure by posting about any new developments or any new games that come up on BYOND periodically. If you want me to post a little blurb about your game, or have any news for me, contact me through pager, or post a comment on my blog (<--- over there!), and I'll see what I can do. Hopefully this can stir up some activity in the roleplaying community, and encourage new developments.

but can't you just roleplay that you're a byond roleplay game and that people are roleplaying inside you
I can't speak for all of the RP games around BYOND, but what afflicts Hazordhu the most is that the community expects near daily updates. I can't supply those, as I have a personal life to attend to.

I'm also aware that it isn't the most newbie friendly game, and I've been trying to figure out a way to change that while keeping with the open-ended RP essence of the game. It's proven to be difficult so far.

The final thing that keeps Hazordhu from getting more players is in fact a lack of players. Being open-ended RP it tends to be a lot more fun with a lot of players. So when you don't have a lot of players you're left doing significantly less.

My advice to anyone making a new Roleplay game is to try and overcome at least the last two of these issues.
Well me and Twoton was thinking on making a rp game about urban lifestyle, but we need more support on it.
Pure role-playing games won't get anywhere big. It's far too much work to maintain one properly with a community bigger than, say, ten people. Plus, role-playing games aren't for everyone at all, and people will always abuse them and non-role-play when they should role-play. While I believe text role-playing games are the only ones that really work well, I don't find them attractive in the least. Frankly, they bore me. Then, if you try to make them visual, you'll get somewhere like Cow RP with a terrible community and abusive/non-role-playing players.
I say that text rps are the ones that works the best, due to it giving you the most freedom to do whatever you want. As long as you got a community of 4-8 people, thats all you need. As for visual rps, you're bound to the stats you earn from the event you verbly or rply train for. The downfall is if you have to spend you first character figuring out how the stats work. Hell, you can't even call these games rps, more like simulations or interactive pvp games.
I didn't read a word of that. But I like your display picture.
I think Text-based RPs are cool n all, but quite frankly, I feel like it's got a big problem: the fact that you see EVERYONE rping, even those that aren't ICly anywhere near you. So you feel like you wanna jump into an RP, but those people could be ICly miles away and you'd never know, but you'd sit there watching them RP. If there was a sort of "positioning" sytem implemented into text-based RPs, maybe I'd give them another shot. Or maybe there's just something I'm not getting :P
I'm about as interested in generic fantasy games like Hazordhu II and Lands of Legend as I am in DBZRP3000 Gokuz Revange, really. And the median quality of the roleplaying is about the same.

Linkman712 wrote:
I think Text-based RPs are cool n all, but quite frankly, I feel like it's got a big problem: the fact that you see EVERYONE rping, even those that aren't ICly anywhere near you. So you feel like you wanna jump into an RP, but those people could be ICly miles away and you'd never know, but you'd sit there watching them RP. If there was a sort of "positioning" sytem implemented into text-based RPs, maybe I'd give them another shot. Or maybe there's just something I'm not getting :P

It's the result of people trying to cram entire freeform worlds into games like BTG that are designed to handle more a more traditional RPG with a more focused plot. And this being BYOND, no one has bothered to do anything differently.
CIE, Trust.
I was thinkinq of makinq an Assassins Creed Roleplay Game but like a few thousand years into the future storyline depending on a system i made .
Stephen001 wrote:
I didn't read a word of that. But I like your display picture.