ID:102103

BYOND Version:476
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Basic 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 3.6.10
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Thus far we've been unable to verify or reproduce this bug. Or, it has been observed but it cannot be triggered with a reliable test case. You can help us out by editing your report or adding a comment with more information.
Descriptive Problem Summary: mob layer has priority over obj layer of the same layer(Ie. if they're both layer 5).

This can cause some annoying graphical issues with pixel offsets and objects bigger than 32x32.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem: Set an obj layer and mob layer to the same layer and have them overlap each other from in front and behind. (If they're both mobs it will react the way it should)

Expected Results: Mob appearing above the obj while in front of it, and behind the obj while behind it.

Actual Results: Mob appearing above the obj while in front and behind it.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Yes
In other games? I don't know.
In other user accounts? I don't know.
On other computers? I don't know.

When does the problem NOT occur? When both items are mobs or objs.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? As far as I'm aware it has always occurred.

Workarounds: Making objects mobs.

I think we need more information. Since you mention "in front" and "behind" I assume you're using isometric mode, since those concepts are strictly based on the layer var otherwise.

Isometric does have some known limitations as to how you mix icons of different sizes, because there is no way for the layering engine to resolve some situations otherwise. Screenshots or a demo would help clarify what you're looking at.

When dealing with topdown mode and all icons are the same size, and when micro-layers are not in play (basically they come from pixel offsets and movement only), then an obj and a mob on the same tile and the same layer will always have the obj display behind the mob. This is because in any atom's contents, objs precede mobs, and the layering engine also adds them in that order.