ID:102131

Not Feasible
Applies to:Dream Daemon

Implementing this feature is not possible now or in the foreseeable future
My suggestion is to add the ability to specify where you want the clients to pull the .rsc file from.

Not all game creators write in the ability for hosts to change where the resource file is pulled from. For hosts with limited throughput, this puts a huge strain on their connections.

What I'm suggesting is adding an option to DreamDaemon to be able to specify a remote location that clients can pull the .rsc from.

DreamDaemon itself can still pull from the hosting directory, but it would be nice if it would redirect other users to pull from another server, or website.

Example for Linux:

DreamDaemon /home/byondsrv/game.dmb 6100 -safe -rsc http://website.com/game.rsc -logself &

The -rsc and the address after it would be how hosts (on Linux at least) would specify where to redirect clients to retrieve the resource file.

This would basically override the client/preload_rsc setting in game, or it would alter it to reflect the address specified.
Think this was requested before. And though it might be a half decent idea, it would probably be more of a security risk than anything. Not to mention 90% of the noobs would probably just break things attempting to use it.
Yeah, I wouldn't approve of this because of the potential security risks, also the potential abuse or neglect to make sure certain URL's are still in-tact.
Falacy wrote:
Think this was requested before. And though it might be a half decent idea, it would probably be more of a security risk than anything. Not to mention 90% of the noobs would probably just break things attempting to use it.

How could this be a security risk? Also, noobs will break anything no matter what it is.
VistaBeta wrote:
How could this be a security risk? Also, noobs will break anything no matter what it is.

Viruses. Think about it, you would need to supply either a .zip, .rsc or link to the Dream Daemon. DD would need an overhaul to scan the links to make sure they are secure and not corrupt.

This is just one more thing users can abuse.
Maximus_Alex2003 wrote:
VistaBeta wrote:

Viruses. Think about it, you would need to supply either a .zip, .rsc or link to the Dream Daemon. DD would need an overhaul to scan the links to make sure they are secure and not corrupt.

This is just one more thing users can abuse.

Not really, they could just use an MD5 hash and compare the .rsc on the server itself with the .rsc at the remote location.

Server sends MD5 hash from it's .rsc to client. Client downloads .rsc from remote location, generates MD5 for it's version, checks against server provided MD5, if they match it loads it up and moves on. If not, it deletes the .rsc in cache.

Also, how is this any more of a risk than just using client/preload_src to specify a URL? It's just as abusable, and I'm sure they have something in place already for that.
I agree with Falacy and Maximus this is defiantly a security risk so no.
Ter13 resolved issue (Not Feasible)