ID:102522

Applies to:DM Language

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Grid controls could use some improvements...
- You can't specify the height/width of grid cells
- Formatting applies to the entire cell, even basic font coloring can't effect words separately
- You should be able to simply output a list to a grid, and have that grid actually display the list contents
- There should be a way to keep information in a grid up to date, without having to manually spam winset()s to every player
- Other stuff
I agree grids need a face lift. Having more control over width and height in a cell would definitely be helpful.

I'm also in complete agreement on the list idea and that there needs to be an easier way to keep the grid updated. The trick about this has generally been that it's hard to come up with a good notation for the output. Tom was quite impressed by Forum_account's skin interface library though and this is really a direction we're keen on moving in. I welcome any suggestions as to how that kind of thing could be implemented on the language end.

As far as being able to use multiple styles in the same cell, that's still pretty far off. The problem is essentially that Windows has no easy means of natively mixing styles, which means we'd need to hunt down some homebrew code for doing so or find a way to somehow adapt the somewhat fickle RichEdit to our purposes (a difficulty because the existing control doesn't use RichEdit and for reasons of speed and simplicity we'd like to keep it that way).
For more complex or precise formatting I highly recommend using a browser control.

With my interface library and a little bit of JavaScript code you can easily display a list in the browser. I'm not sure if it comes as a demo with the library, but somewhere I have an example of how to create an inventory display in a browser control.
Forum_account wrote:
For more complex or precise formatting I highly recommend using a browser control.

Though that could allow for more precise visual control, it would remove the functionality that grids do provide. Drag/drop, right click access to verbs, dynamic visual appearance updates, mouse_over functionality, etc.