ID:1026015

Applies to:DM Language

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Currently, it seems that if you want to stream from an URL (because you dont want 50MB of music inside the RSC, or want something somewhat dynamic), you have to use windows media player embedded in a browse() window, and that method is... ugly, buggy and crashy, I know FMod that BYOND uses right now anyways has support for URL streams, would it be possible to have those exposed to DM?
It might not be feasible due to the lack of an MP3 license for BYOND's version of FMOD Ex. I do agree this would be an excellent feature though.
Could you not upload the music to a third party like Sound Cloud? and embed that into the browser?

Still ugly but a work around for now.

Or I just found this - http://www.un4seen.com/ not sure if the client will need the dll, but it's worth a quick Google if you can find a dll that suites your needs and is open source you could modify it to work with BYOND and call it's functions in DM.

[EDIT]

Another thought, I haven't tested it no time at the moment.

Could you embed WMP (Windows Media Player) into the browser with "auto play" make the browser not visible would this still play music? or hiding the window once opened.

But then you are still relying on users having WMP installed, the majority of them will.
As I stated in the OP, I tried WMP, its horribly crashy and sometimes just doesnt work, additionally, I dont see how MP3 would really be a requirement, you could always stream ogg's
In response to Tobba
Tobba wrote:
As I stated in the OP, I tried WMP, its horribly crashy and sometimes just doesnt work.

Worked fine for me, although I don't know why you would want to use it anyway ... use a streaming service like Sound Cloud and the others out there and have it auto play...

Don't see why the only thing you focused on in my post was WMP ... I gave you alternatives.

Sound Cloud needs flash installed, most people only ever use IE to install a decent browser, so Flash for IE is usually not installed at all
Windows Media Player is more supported but it has issues

And when it comes to BASS, I'd assume you have no idea what you are talking about
Your right but at least I looked and tried to help you no need to be so rude..

BASS is an audio library for use in software on several platforms. Its purpose is to provide developers with powerful and efficient sample, stream (MP3, MP2, MP1, OGG, WAV, AIFF, custom generated, and more via OS codecs and add-ons), MOD music (XM, IT, S3M, MOD, MTM, UMX), MO3 music (MP3/OGG compressed MODs), and recording functions. All in a compact DLL that won't bloat your distribution.
Bumping this since 500 is going for feature requests again
It shouldent be too hard to implement but its apparently a bit quirky, but that should be solvable on the user side
I've been using a 1x1 browser control to play a radio station in my game. It doesn't work for maybe 5-10% of users.
If FMOD's HTTP streaming was exposed to DM I'd definitely use it.

A somewhat unrelated question, does BYOND update FMOD? I hear they're looking into adding ogg opus support soon which is pretty cool.
We'll see what this takes.

BYOND is bound to the included version of FMOD due to the license agreement we have with them, so no updates to that, sorry!
It should be as simple as passing the URL instead of the cached filename, but you might have to set some special flags for it to work with some file formats due to the lack of seeking
Bump - this wouldn't require any DM changes, just pass a URL instead of a file reference.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
We'll see what this takes.

BYOND is bound to the included version of FMOD due to the license agreement we have with them, so no updates to that, sorry!

Would this also cover why BYOND is still using EAX instead of EFX for audio effects?
If FMOD can't be directly modified could a simpler solution be added in the meantime?

Just allow a /sound datum to be created that points to a HTTP URL instead of a file. When the client receives the request to play the song the client should connect to the given URL and download the content. The binary stream can be written to file (for caching purposes) & directed to FMOD as a raw stream (surely this is possible?).

Obviously MP3 support would be out of the question, but then it'd be possible to upload your music to your webspace and have clients "stream" the songs from that location instead of embedding them in the resource file.