ID:102832

Not a bug
BYOND Version:477
Operating System:Windows XP Home
Web Browser:Chrome 6.0.472.63
Applies to:Dream Maker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Large icons are visible through opaque walls if and when they are touching or "passing through" said walls; even though the 1 tile the icon supposedly takes up shouldn't be visible.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Run my demo? Email me and I can send it to you; or you can do your own:

create an opaque "wall", of which your "character is on one side of.

Place a big icon so that part of the icon is on the wall, or past the wall(Icon A).

Place another(Icon B) so that it isn't touching the wall.

Stand on the other side, and enjoy the sight of Icon A.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
turf
tree
icon='genericbigicon.dmi'
layer=MOB_LAYER+10 //my tree layer
name="Generic tree"
wall
icon='genericwallicon.dmi'
name="Generic Opaque Wall"
opacity=1
density=1

Expected Results: That the trees stay outdoors, and out of sight.

Actual Results: Tree's invade my building, so to speak. (You can see the entire tree including the lower left 'anchor point' through the wall.)

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? as long as any "part" of the big icon spills onto, or past opaque tiles
In other games? Not sure
In other user accounts? User accounts doesn't affect this
On other computers? Only computer

When does the problem NOT occur?

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? Didn't test older versions, as this is my first time using icons larger than 32x32 (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

Workarounds: Don't put trees near walls, But that limits creativity just a tad.

Make your wall tiles a higher layer.
You didn't actually post a demo for me to test. However I'm not sure this is a bug. Big icons are meant to be visible if any part of them is in view, not just if the base is in view. Still I'll take a look whenever you post your demo. You can also email it to me at [email protected].
Its easier for me to email it- However if they are meant to be visible if any part of them is in view then thats what I was experiencing(The friendly forum didn't know that I'm guessing becuase they advised I posted a bug report.) I'm going to test BlackKingX's idea, and if that works then yay; If not, is there another way to make it so the big icons only show if their "base" are in view?
Resolved as this is apparently not a bug, just confusion as to how the icons were meant to behave.