Wargames2

by Acebloke
Wargames2
The next chapter
ID:1030710

Applies to:General, small updates

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Please use this topic for anything you'd like to see quickly done for a small October 2012 update.

Anything big, please consider making a topic of its own. Use this topic just for small things you'd like to see (or at least, things you think will be easy for me to do :p).

Thanks to Jacob843 who has been hosting recently, this support means that I can work on the game a bit between developing WG1.

Some users have already asked for things which I might be able to get in, namely:

* Better control for people logging in before the game is ready: instead of kicking them out, make it so they are hanging around till its time for them to start developing a country
* Admin commands?: I've said no to most of these requests, but may allow one or two to be allowed as per WG1.
* Game Statistics: Something that shows all the round settings in game, but also some kind of 'endgame' display of stats would be good, akin to wg1 but perhaps prettier and better.
* Better control of units: Particularly moving more than one at a time, I've been meaning to do this for awhile.
Two minor things I've also noted:

Crossings (rivers with land unit access) need to count as irrigation access

edit: and take out wall ability for towns on crossings

Fog of War blackout needs to update automatically, when logging in, creating a town for first time, switch town verb use, if unit moved on-screen.
How about the storage/supply carts. Make them move automatically to units that have a set number of food. This can be customized by clicking the cart. It will also have a radius that can also be set.
Nice idea, I'll try adding that alongside automation to go back to town when it runs out.
I'm still working on this, but should be out as soon as I get a good day to finish it off. What is in is better blackout (including bigger line of sight range for units on mountains), the alterations to crossings (irrigation access, walls blocked) and the automated supply units.

I need to test the automated supply units, and decide what level I want it to be used at. It'll most likely be an individual unit command which can be used to define the distance from its home town to search for units in demand. When empty, I will make it automatically reload food by going to town before starting it all over again.

I will probably try to add a few more things in to ensure there is a few others as well.
A mass selector of units thingy. Like being able to select a bunch of different units with one click
Yeah going to try and get round to that.

I'm sorry for the delay, I managed to destroy my laptop, so its pretty much out of action for a week. Two other factors in my life will then dictate how much time I spend on BYOND, so it might get slightly delayed even more (we'll see).

I think I can get the files before then, but its a matter of how busy I am doing other things as well. This applies to WG1 and WG2, as well as any other BYOND projects.
hey acebloke. I know it's offtopic, but are you the same acebloke that was on the ffdreams forum years ago? UK?
Yep that's me.
I'm struggling to think of an easy way to do multi unit management, in fact I've thought about it much longer than just the recent push for an update.

One solution I've always come to is a form of merging units of the same type together. This will be a temporary measure for an ongoing problem. I don't know why, but a 'box' like selection just doesn't work in this format like a traditional real time strategy.
There is a bug in long term games, I keep getting this message every turn

runtime error: list index out of bounds
proc name: Sec (/mob/proc/Sec)