ID:103181

Not a bug
BYOND Version:478
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 4.0
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Recently I bought a new sound system for my PC. It's Surround Sound 5.1 Logitech X-530, to be specific. Ever since I have hooked up the new sound system, I only hear bass audio coming from my sub woofer and nothing else is playing from the sound system.

I have tried it on various games and different audio formats to see if it was the same. Nothing seems to work on fixing this issue. I also recently got a sound file from one game that was playing in the background in the game and tried it in a media player and it plays the media fine. Seems like a very odd issue.
Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:xx
1. Launch DreamSeeker to any game (Make sure sounds are enabled and have a 5.1 surround sound system!)

2. Make sure any game has audio playing.

3. Audio begins playing but I only hear the bass coming from my sub woofer and it's very low to hear.

4. Rinse and repeat for any other game and sound format.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:
I would expect that to hear the audio playing fine on my sound system.
Actual Results:
I only hear bass coming from my sub woofer. I tried a random song that was .OOG and got it to work fine in a media player.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Every time I play a game that has audio support.
In other games?
All games.
In other user accounts?
Issue occurs only on my desktop with the new sound system
On other computers?
Only when my sound system is connected to another computer.
When does the problem NOT occur?
When I had my old sound system hooked up to my PC.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
Tried various versions of BYOND, no dice.
Workarounds:
Use older sound system, but I no longer have it.
This is a system configuration issue, not a BYOND bug. If you only hear this problem on BYOND itself then it's possible FMod, our sound library, is to blame, but that's something that would have to be reported to FMod.

Some systems are finicky about how their sound is setup however; my wife's new computer gave us a lot of headaches in that department until we figured it out. I strongly suggest doing research on how to configure the sound for your upgraded system, as this should fix any problems you're having.
Yes, it's only on BYOND itself when the media plays. I tried the same music file format that was playing in one game and it worked for me in Windows Media Player.

I'll contact FMod about it soon to see if they can fix it.
It may not be the format alone. Do an apples-to-apples test: You need to try the identifcal file. Also try other programs besides Windows Media to try to play the file.
I've tried two other programs and it plays the file format just fine. Contacted FMod about this issue and I'll let you know what they say when they reply to my email.
Got a reply from them, "We'd have to know what version of FMOD they were using, and if they were following the correct start up sequence in their code, the issue is likely on their setup and not setting the speaker mode properly."