ID:103313

Keywords: game_in_a_day
Sorry about the extra week wait. Would you believe I've still got a cough? Here's the results of the 2010 Game in a Day event:

GiaD 2010 Results

Congrats to the winners! I'll be awarding medals from my events hub tomorrow.
Hmm This gives me a bit of confidence to continue working on my GiaD :D
Nice to see some of the other entries - I'll have to have a look at Goldbeard.

I'm surprised you ranked my little chess variant so highly - it really was very simple. Other things maybe worth noting that you didn't bring up about it:

- The king can change pieces from one type of piece to another - so you can turn pawns into rooks, for example.

- The game is playable in text mode. That's more of a curiosity than a feature, though, I suppose. :P

I agree that sounds and some kind of last-move-made indicator would have been a good idea. I think I should have implemented castling and some kind of move-log, too. Might continue fiddling with it, fix some of those issues.
Jp wrote:
Might continue fiddling with it, fix some of those issues.

Please do. One of my favorite BYOND games is BenG.Breakthrough, and this has a similar flavor.
I certainly believe you've still got the cough if you had the same nasty-arse cold I've been fighting lately. The persistent viural bastards have moved into my right ear and are plotting their return.
I'm so awesome, I placed 2rd. xD
2rd? Wtf is that?
Aw, scope and theme fail. I miss the days when I could make an arcade game, theme it a bit, and call it a day, haha (though my game would've probably fit the theme better if I had more time).
"SuperAntx didn't include any info about which theme he used, and I don't see any use of theme in this entry."

BASES!

The theme was controlling bases!

Also, lol@chess winning second place
I was a bit worried about the similarities between my game and Airjoe's plunder entry (which amusingly involved ninjas).

I was planning to have five chapters in the game, but the mapping took way too long and I ran out of time before I could begin work on the second chapter (In case you couldn't tell by the sloppy mapping job on the second level)

The first level took over 2 hours to map out. Lots of play testing and map revisions

[EDIT]: Also, I'm pretty sure this was my fourth event... >_>;

I participated in Plunder, Fire and Ice, Machinery/Flight, and now Not Ninjas
F***er... Seriously. I just checked my e-mail. I got a mailer@daemon error. I mistyped your e-mail address. Whatever. It wouldn't have stood up to the competition anyways. Congrats on the contest winners.
Hiro the Dragon King wrote:
F***er... Seriously. I just checked my e-mail. I got a mailer@daemon error. I mistyped your e-mail address. Whatever. It wouldn't have stood up to the competition anyways. Congrats on the contest winners.

Foward the original email with the attachment to me and I'll make a decision on whether or not to include it.

F0lak wrote:
I'm so awesome, I placed 2rd. xD

2rd. 2-rd. Two-Erd. Turd.
Doesn't matter how many times you proof something (even giving it to someone else to proof) shit still creeps in. Edit: Fixed.
I failed miserably, even when I was late I still didn't manage to finish it :(

Still, look forward to trying these games.

Next year!
No that's fine. It's not an e-mail account I like dealing with. Besides, I'm not particularly proud of it. I more like the fact that I actually did something. If you really care, I put a link up for everyone else in of the announcement's commnets, XD

Next year will be better. I'll have my meth skills better refreshed and better planning on the time period for doing it.
why did two people get 2nd place. folak 2rd was supposed to be changed to 3rd not 2nd.
Ryuk25 wrote:
why did two people get 2nd place. folak 2rd was supposed to be changed to 3rd not 2nd.

Read the text bro. Tis a tie.

Well, I figured the use of "Group" was apparent in my game too.
But I guess that's fine if you list it as just "Bear" too! ;3
WHOOOOOOOOO i was so interested in seeing the outcome of this, but i ended up forgetting after not seeing the results posted for so long. glad you won D4RK3 54B3R, cuz now i feel like i won alittle too! You really should add more to that game.
I tied with glorified chess. :(