Casual Quest

by IainPeregrine
A fast paced, casual, multi player action game with a little RPG touch
ID:103347

In Casual Quest, you and up to four other players must defend yourselves from hoards of monsters, progressing to the next wave only when every one of them is defeated. Combat is action based, and waves go by quickly, so feel free to jump in for a few rounds on your coffee break, and then let someone else take your place when you leave. If you're in for the long haul, you can start at wave 1 and see if you can survive through 140 waves to recover all the royal treasures. Up for a challenge? Start at wave 60 and hope for the best! With 35 classes, addictive and challenging gameplay, and a casual social atmosphere, Casual Quest has something for everyone.

Subscription Benefits

Subscription benefits have been opened for all players. You no longer have to subscribe to get access to the top tier classes.

Other Benefits

Casual Quest has several exclusive classes for other types of subscribers:

BYOND members start with an upgraded Adventurer who has a shield and a healing skill.

Regressia Subscribers start with a Hero who has a shield, higher than normal health, and a healing skill.

Hazordhu Subscribers start with an orc with flaming arrows and an axe.

Contact IainPeregrine via the forums if you would like to add custom content for your group.
As Hellblazer101 noted when playing with me, the game could use a bit more documentation (as to how to change a class, the results of answering questions, what abilities certain classes can yield,...), a bit less sharp movement (no adaptation to the grid) and a more steady difficulty sloop (some waves can instantly crush you while the wave before that was easy as pie).
The fact that some selections do not last long enough for me to read the text and grab the mouse to answer them is kind of deterring as well. Heck, even fruits vanish faster than your team mates can reach them in most cases *sighs*.
For the odd German user like myself where the 'z' key is placed instead of your 'y' key, it would be neat to allow reconfiguring macros (playing a fast magician with a German Keyboard is a pain in the rear).

Asides of that it's quite amusing and I'd enjoy to find others to play with. So, if you happen to be willing to give the game a try, let me know on your time-frame ;)
There is an odd chance for only (one ranged) melee characters on a map that has a trapped enemy and thus resulting in a dead end... http://www.byond.com/members/Schnitzelnagler/files/CQbug.png

Furthermore, it seems that the big eyeball disallows progression, at least we got stuck in that wave with no enemies left and the wave not being account for.
Schnitzelnagler wrote:
There is an odd chance for only (one ranged) melee characters on a map that has a trapped enemy and thus resulting in a dead end... http://www.byond.com/members/Schnitzelnagler/files/CQbug.png

Ah, I hadn't counted on that. Next time I update I'll fix all the maps so that isn't possible.

Edit: Also, send me a page or an email or something if you're getting together a group to play. I'm often at my computer with my email open, but not my pager. :(
Furthermore, it seems that the big eyeball disallows progression, at least we got stuck in that wave with no enemies left and the wave not being account for.

Could you clarify what that means? I don't understand what you're saying.

There is one known bug that can stop progression and requires a reboot. If at the start of the wave everyone moves back toward the edge of the map, then they'll all disappear off the edge of the map and you'll be unable to continue. Is this what you're referring to?
IainPeregrine wrote:
Could you clarify what that means?

We were four people attempting a wave (49) with a big eyeball sort of boss. After killing every single monster in that wave, the game did not notify us of having 'completed wave' like usually and never continued with a new wave, despite that the 'Survived to wave 140' medal claims that there are at least 140 waves ;)
Schnitzelnagler wrote:
We were four people attempting a wave (49) with a big eyeball sort of boss. After killing every single monster in that wave, the game did not notify us of having 'completed wave' like usually and never continued with a new wave, despite that the 'Survived to wave 140' medal claims that there are at least 140 waves ;)

Ah, I'll look into that, then. The waves continue indefinitely (or at least they should), but eventually the game runs out of new monsters, so the region will change every 10 waves but there won't be any increase in difficulty; I think this happens around wave 100. After wave 140 there simply aren't any medals left. I have plans to attach a score to each monster and set up a high score list, and I've been thinking about having a big boss (final boss style) at wave 139.

Next time you play, take some screenshots if you remember. I could use some stuff for the hub.
IainPeregrine wrote:
(...) screenshots (...)

Sure, I got some already and am going to try and capture some more. I'll go and have a look at FRAPS later to see if I can muster a little video as well.

Where/how do you want the screenshoots? Are you looking for anything in special (it's somewhat tricky to take good ones without dying :p)?
Or, should I try to compile a review for the Casual guild?
Have you considered adding the ability to meet/hire NPCs on your quest as BYOND membership perk when playing solo through the various 'cards'?
That way the game would kind of improve it's appeal when you have nobody to join you.
A spectator mode would be most welcome as well to see how others are handling the battle ;)
New bug, We were four people, and the fourth person didn't even spawn which resulted in the game stuck in an endless loop given that all three others died ;)
Congrats on wave 80 :)

Schnitzelnagler wrote:
Where/how do you want the screenshoots? Are you looking for anything in special (it's somewhat tricky to take good ones without dying :p)?
Or, should I try to compile a review for the Casual guild?

I just added you as a helper on this hub so you can upload them for me, if you don't mind. I'd rather you not do a review just yet, as the game technically hasn't been released.

Have you considered adding the ability to meet/hire NPCs on your quest as BYOND membership perk when playing solo through the various 'cards'?

I hadn't, but I'll give it some thought.

A spectator mode would be most welcome as well to see how others are handling the battle ;)

Having a spectator mode complicates the controls. How do you get into spectator mode? How do you get out of spectator mode once you're in it? It might be easy to throw out a "you press a button, duh!" answer, but when you see how the controls work in this very simple game you start to see why it's a problem. Anyway, I'll look into that, too, but if someone wants to be involved, why not just play?

New bug, We were four people, and the fourth person didn't even spawn which resulted in the game stuck in an endless loop given that all three others died ;)

Yup, I know about this already. Check comment #3, that's what I was talking about. It happens when a player moves back toward the edge of the map right at the start of a wave.

Like I said, the game technically isn't released yet, in part because I want to get rid of these bugs.
IainPeregrine wrote:
Congrats on wave 80 :)

Funny enough I didn't even realise the number until you mentioned it! Thanks *smiles*

IainPeregrine wrote:
upload them for me

I uploaded a selected few and the others are still available for you if you'd prefer different ones. Let me know when the game's ready for release, so I can consider compiling a review.

IainPeregrine wrote:
why not just play?

Both Darke and myself grew tired of playing ourselves during the last session but wanted to watch 'our team' progress. Not to mention that we had more people on than could join the game, which kind of kills their fun if they can not even see the game.

IainPeregrine wrote:
It happens when a player moves back toward the edge of the map right at the start of a wave.

I don't recall him doing that, maybe he got pushed back out though. He just never really appeared at all. It might have been related to problems he had earlier on with seeing other players unless they got wounded.
Could you perhaps add a bit of a HUD to the bottom of the screen showing what each skill that you have does. I ran at the enemies as the magician-like character and used what I thought was a burst attack, and it turns out it was an area heal.

As well, maybe adding alternate controls to the number pad? 5 is primary attack(space), 9, 3, and 1 being the skills? You could set up an option in the menu to toggle between the 2, and have alternate HUD's in the bottom right corner depending on the setup showing what you were using.

[ ][ ][ ]  <- z x c for skills

[ ] 9
[ ][ ] <- 1 3 for skills(on the numberpad)

and just bank them in the bottom right of the screen.

Another alternative being 1, 2, and 3, for your skills.

I've seen Schnitzelnagler inviting people a couple times, as well as KhaosParadox, but I've been too busy to try it. Myself and Annie tried it for the first time not too long ago(30 minutes?), it's very amusing. Great work, Iain.

Oh, last note, names above characters please. When me and Annie first started we looked identical, took us a bit to get our bearings. Alternatively though, you could just have the player choose a color at the beginning, and have their character always rendered in that color.

It's late(or early rather), and I haven't slept yet, I'll be sure to play this more tomorrow and give more feedback.
Mikau wrote:
I'll be sure to play this more tomorrow

Drop me a line when you host/want to join a game! You know where/how to find me.
There is a bug with medals, as it seems from my recent session with Mikau and DivineTraveller. You can see that we gained the medals I didn't yet have on 10/26/10, but the wave 100, 120, 140 medals were assigned at wave 20, 40 and 60 (we made it to 80 and got no more medals there).
Add a PVP mode, and upon creation of the world, give whoever the host is the option to choose between PVP Mode and Standard. In PVP Mode, you go about 10 rounds. You're randomly assigned to a team, and you simply fight in a random region against the other team. Whichever team completely defeats the other team wins that round. Also, after each round, you will be given a card. Of course, just like in Standard, if you die, you will have to be a peasant for the next round. You can only get a card if you survive. However this creates balance issues since a team full of peasants could never beat a team full of knights and wizards. To keep it balanced, maybe make it a 50/50 chance. If you die, theres a 50/50 chance you get a card. If you don't die, you're guaranteed to get a card, and if you don't want to switch, you can simply wait like you do in Standard mode. If the 50/50 still proves to be an issue, you could always up it to about a 75% chance.

As you can see, I never asked any questions or made any requests. I never used the word "please" or said anything like "I hope you will do this!"

That is simply because this is not a suggestion. Its a demand. Get started, Peregrine. Chop chop.
I love this game, easily my favourite on BYOND :). Just had some annoying problems with the screen freezing.
The servers have been really laggy. Makes me sad. D:
I play the second one, it's usually fine for me.

I'd like to pay for a shell server but I don't think there'd be any point since there's two servers up. It'd probably be overlooked.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10