As Sudzzuds mentioned, version 493 works with the current host files. I guess there's a backwards-compatibility issue with 494+. I'll go report it.
By this point everyone knows that the current version of BYOND doesn't like CQ. If anyone reputable would like to fix this issue for me, I can try to get you the CQ source.
In response to IainPeregrine
Whoever ends up doing this: Lummox JR mentioned in the bug report that the problem is changing the skin in client/New(), which apparently isn't safe. I would imagine moving any skin setup to Login() would fix the problem.
The game has been fixed. Everybody thank DarkCampainger for the quality, speedy, and pro-bono work.
Hello, everyone. I'm currently running my server (as best I can) 24/7 now. For some reason it keeps telling me it cant record your scores, and doesn't show up on the pager, but playable. byond://99.32.77.201:1172
In response to Joram
It looks like the hub was hidden and the hub password changed. I'm surprised Iain would do that without telling anyone, but it is his game so it's ultimately up to him.

I know he was working on creating games with HTML5/JavaScript, so maybe he's planning to create something similar in that.

It's a bummer... CQ seemed like a perfect fit for the Flash client, whenever that gets released.
:'(
Wow..
Plenty of great times with this game. Hoping I find out what's going on with future peregrine projects or if we'll ever see a CQ port/equivalent somewhere.
Just noting here that a port is in progress (and has been for quite a while, though there was a bit of a hiatus), and unless I hear differently from Iain I will finish it. If you want details on progress feel free to hit me up on Twitter, @Alturos.
Check out AntlerPig.com now and then for details.
I checked out your blog, but saw nothing about Casual Quest or the like. Would like to know more about this "port" in the works, but didn't find anything about that either. Sad to see an amazing game like this just get killed.
You can find an early testing build of the current port here: http://goo.gl/lnkjl

It's still early yet. Tier one and most tier 2 classes mostly exist. Local multi-player (with XInput compatible controllers).

Requires XNA 4 to run ( http://goo.gl/TX0Nn ).

Iain, if you see this, please get in contact with me somehow. Thanks :)
Sef: The login system I just finished will allow me to move forward with some of the demos I've got going on. They may or may not be related to CQ, but they will be Peregrine Games :)

Alturos: I got your email, and that's the best way to stay in contact with me. It'll take me a little while to respond, as those are important questions and I need to make the right choices. I'll get back to you via email later in the week.

Everyone else: Should I put a 'shout box' on the AntlerPig about page so you can reach me there instead of hoping that I check this page once every couple months?
My initial concern was about Casual Quest, and it possibly becoming more than what it is now. Which is no longer playable, for the most part. Then it becomes a question of what happens to all of us who subbed? Will Tier 3 classes be available to everyone who plays, ignoring the old subscription benefits? And for those who purchased custom classes.. Are the classes just going to disappear, and everyone who has one is given a "Sorry, you're out of luck champ"?

Either way, I'd just like to see the game return, or at least get to a point where it's not locked and invisible when hosted. As long as it's the same Casual Quest we know and love.

As for an opinion on the shoutbox thing.. Unless there's a particular reason not to, I'd say go for it. On the off chance someone [like myself] has a question, it would be quite helpful.

Looking forward to seeing what you plan on releasing in the near future. Or at least.. Hopefully in the near future. :P
I agree with the ShoutBox - I pretty much never go back onto Byond anymore because there is nothing good to play on it - I just happened to come back to see how my fav has been doing. In its own way, even though there is no news, at least we can be content on the fact that all of us are still around, alive, and have our roots stuck on this game for some reason or another.

Anyways, hope to see how this project goes!
First, let me get this out there for the tl;rd crowd: This blog post outlines details of the Casual Quest sequel.

So what's going on is this: Three years or so ago I quit programming and BYOND specifically. I took up a different hobby and went back to school so I could be a Math teacher. While there, Occupy Providence happened, I met activists interested in education reform, and got involved by becoming a programmer. Yay?

I do not do BYOND programming anymore. Over time all my games have broken as BYOND updates, and I'm not interested in fixing them. I didn't sign an infinite service agreement, either. So long as you have a compatible copy of BYOND, you can continue to play CQ and the hub will validate your subscription. As far as I'm concerned, that's the extent of my obligation.

Now, that isn't exactly true to how I feel. Technically, the game can still be hosted and played; practically, changing the hub password killed hosting. I also changed my position on letting other people update the game, which I'm by no means required to do, but in a sense it is a douchey move on my part. So I recognize that my actions, though not a breach of any legal responsibility, are a breach of the community trust.

I'm doing this with the intent of saving the game and the game community, though. The CQ or SQ concept has the potential to be something much bigger than what it is on BYOND. [I'm not being pie-in-the-sky here, 'More popular than CQ ever was' is a pretty low bar]. I believe that the disappearance of CQ from BYOND is important to the success of the new venture.

The subscriptions were always in place as a motivation to produce more: a little money in return for progress on the game. I feel it would be contrary to those ethics if I allowed subscriptions to sabotage the success of the new project. So that's where I am now; even if you don't agree with my reasoning, understanding my reasoning will help you to see where CQ is going and answer these questions.

~~~

All that being said, I do want to offer rewards to the CQ community for all the support in the past. Not having a commerce or subscription system in place on the new site makes that a little difficult. Not having a product almost makes that impossible. So what I am doing is offering previews and (soon) demos to people who are currently following my blog... in other words, the CQ community. You'll get to play the current project months before anyone else. Also, I didn't want to talk about the game, per the BYOND Warning of the Day, but after reading recent comments I decided to show my hand.

So I'll stick around here to answer comments about CQ, but if you have questions about the new project, I'd rather you go to my blog to ask them. I'd appreciate keeping them separate.
I have confidence in your ability to produce a quality game, so I'm looking forward to hearing more about any upcoming projects.

I wasn't trying to complain about "losing subscription" so to speak. That comment should be directed at Alturos if he is the one working on putting Casual Quest back out there. If you're releasing it over again, at this point, removing a need for subscriptions isn't a terrible idea.

It would be great to get sneak peeks [which you already seem to have put out on your blog, from what I can see] so I'll be popping in now and then. You'll have lots of willing testers in us CQ regulars [or former regulars, at this point].
Hey Seferiel, sadly I can't really give you a solid answer RE: subscriptions and Customs until I hear back from Iain. If it turns out that I get to continue working on the project then I'll setup a site or something to track progress and allow community interaction.
Well, there you go... I've received a response and the port project shall continue. I'll leave details here soon.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10