ID:1033870

BYOND Version:497
Operating System:Windows 8 Pro
Web Browser:Internet Explorer 10.0
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Text wrapping fails to wrap & even some text will be invisible at times under specific conditions.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Use maptext, you can set the width or not of the text, whatever...

Anyways keep typing text until it wraps, you can use spaces and everything, now backspace one character at a time until you get to the original line.

Now use the spacebar as the last character for that line...when you do this the line will disappear, like the space took it over the edge & now the text is gone(hidden/invisible) until you keep typing or remove the space...

I assume this has to do with wrapping, the space taking it over the edge(outside of maptext allowed width) but technically not wrapping the space, because a space isn't any actual visible character.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Well as for code I just have one verb that adds a character "a" and another that removes the last character, and the third which adds a space...anyways keep adding till it gets to the edge, add a space & watch the whole line of text the space was put on disappear, if it was close enough to the edge of maptext_width bounds.

Expected Results:
It will show the text just fine as if the space wasn't there, or since the space starts a new place it's able to wrap, start the space on the next line.

Actual Results:
The space makes the line of text disappear unless there is more text after that.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?Every Time
In other games?Yes
In other user accounts?Yes
On other computers?Yes

When does the problem NOT occur?
When the line isn't close enough to the edge that it has to wrap for the next character, or when the last character isn't a space.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
Not tested.

Workarounds:
Suppress all the spaces at the end of the text, and make another variable which holds the actual text & make the display show the text but without the spaces at the end.

I am not so great with maptext, because I haven't touched DM since my sophomore year of high school. However, I know that maptext used CSS to style it.

Implying maptext supports this, when you create your maptext, just use the text-wrap attribute to a span tag or so. That is, if it accepts it. I believe that maptext is based off of the output / label stuff, which doesn't have much support for all kinds of CSS trickery.