ID:103404

Keywords: linux
It's come to my attention that for some odd reason, people are still attempting to use my old instructions to get a working copy of DreamSeeker going, which they're very out of date. So here is some very simple instructions on how to get this working.

I actually did this using PuTTY on my schools network, in which, I have no administrator access, so there's no reason you can't get it working yourself.

This is going by the assumption that you're starting in the home directory(~), and have make already installed. If you don't, you'll want to google how to install make for your flavour of linux.

mkdir BYOND
cd BYOND
wget http://www.byond.com/download/build/354/354_byond_linux.zip
unzip 354_byond_linux.zip
cd byond
make here
cd bin
byondsetup
wget http://www.byond.com/download/build/gcc/libstdc++.so.5
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/BYOND/byond/bin
DreamSeeker

Version 354 was the last known version of BYOND to actually include a Dream Seeker, which means that your Dream Seeker is going to be massively out-dated. You'll also be very unlikely to find any join-able game, since your Dream Seeker will be from before BYOND 4.0, so you'll need to find a server that's being hosted on a version before then. So if you really want to play something in the terminal, you're going to have to make it yourself. If you do, tell me. I want to play.
Thanks Mikau. I'll go ahead and update the Linux Guild with these instructions.
That's nice and all, Tibby. But what does it have to do with the Dream Seeker?

Also, mine isn't a mine long. /win
Agreed, even though Dream Seeker might be outdated, it was rather useless to begin with, though some people might enjoy hosting with it, so who knows...

I'm looking for people to update the Linux Guild's tutorials, you up for a challenge Mikau? :)
Flame Sage wrote:
Agreed, even though Dream Seeker might be outdated, it was rather useless to begin with, though some people might enjoy hosting with it, so who knows...

Useless? What? I played games on that bad boy back in the day when I was running Ubuntu as my primary OS. You fail, sir.

I know that, but what I'm saying is for playing anything other than a chat, it was pretty useless. Most games didn't really support text mode at all.

I do not fail, good sir. :)
Dream seeker wont let me play teridal