ID:1036005

Keywords: entry, hide, hub, private, security
Applies to:Website

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
I just realized there's no way to hide a hub entry from the public... There are some cases where you'd want a hub entry, and even a download file made available, but made invisible to everyone except for a few people you select. If you know the URL to a hub entry, you can just go to it anytime. The way I'd envision it working is there'd be a list of keys that would be allowed to see the hub entry, and everyone else (including people NOT signed into to byond.com) would not be allowed to see the hub entry.

If this can't be implemented for whatever reason, I ask that there's a least a little option / checkbox to make the hub entry private altogether until unchecked.
Technically, this feature -does- exist, but it's not avaliable to the hub editor. Lummox JR and Tom (Nadrew, aswell?) have the ability to like...super-reject/ban hubs. They only appear to the person who owns the hub. This is the case of the hubs that were on FUNimation's C&D list - the hubs still exist, just only the creator (and high-level staff) can see it.
I suspect it'd simply be a matter of porting an interface for it to the user.
In response to Super Saiyan X
Super Saiyan X wrote:
Technically, this feature -does- exist, but it's not avaliable to the hub editor. Lummox JR and Tom (Nadrew, aswell?) have the ability to like...super-reject/ban hubs. They only appear to the person who owns the hub. This is the case of the hubs that were on FUNimation's C&D list - the hubs still exist, just only the creator (and high-level staff) can see it.
I suspect it'd simply be a matter of porting an interface for it to the user.

Glad to hear its already implemented. I think it would be useful to people like me who are doing wide spread tests with trusted people and don't want those tests to appear to the general public. The tests still require the features of the hub but aren't currently possible to do totally undetected in a secure manner (whilst using the hub).

Unless there's some way to run your own in-house hub on a roll-your-own server that I don't know about. I'd be willing to do that even if there's no way to get this accessible.
How secret are you trying to make your game? I can make a hub, not have it publicly listed anywhere (though SSX's magic linker thing can get to it), host it without anyone seeing it up, and invite people who can't give out the link to a test server. And I can provide medals and scores, but medals will probably show up on the player's page anyways.
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
How secret are you trying to make your game? I can make a hub, not have it publicly listed anywhere (though SSX's magic linker thing can get to it), host it without anyone seeing it up, and invite people who can't give out the link to a test server. And I can provide medals and scores, but medals will probably show up on the player's page anyways.

How can I do these things? I mean, we have web/instance servers that I would love to just run all of this on! All of the keys are unknown and won't make posts on the forum, etc.
In response to FIREking
As long as you don't hit the checkboxes that say "make this game visible," it won't be put into Game Updates or anywhere else.

Hosting private servers is a Dream Daemon 4.0 thing. In addition to the old "Invisible" setting that hides the server from the hub and pager, there's a Privacy tab where you can add keys to a list. If someone tries to join who isn't on the list, "Access denied."
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
As long as you don't hit the checkboxes that say "make this game visible," it won't be put into Game Updates or anywhere else.

Hosting private servers is a Dream Daemon 4.0 thing. In addition to the old "Invisible" setting that hides the server from the hub and pager, there's a Privacy tab where you can add keys to a list. If someone tries to join who isn't on the list, "Access denied."

Ok. So I guess I could get a secret key with a secret hub and just not tell anyone the name so they don't know what to type into their browser and then privatizing and white listing all of the above should round it off. Sounds good.

Hub privacy is still a feature request, here.
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:

That makes sense, but I would like a little clarity on one thing. If the game is not listed, but someone knows the url (http://www.byond.com/games/FIREking/game_name_here) would they be able to see that its "live" when testing and would they be able to click on a join now link? I know how to prevent people from accessing the game via Daemon, or Code, or even blocking ip's on my server. But I just want some clarity on how the hub pages operate.
If they actually get to a hub the links would be clickable if live, however if you make the game invisible(to the hub through dream-daemon) it wont show up no matter if the hub itself is accessed or even if it's clearly available or the hub itself is hidden or not.

Also if someone knows the BYOND://IP:Address they can always join regardless unless you block them in dream daemons settings by making the game private & only available to testers...
In response to FIREking
If the game is hosted on Private or Invisible, it won't show up on the hub.

If someone has the link to the server, Dream Daemon will block the connection if you've activated a private list. Only selected keys can join the server.