ID:103760

Not Feasible
Applies to:Dream Seeker Dream Maker

Implementing this feature is not possible now or in the foreseeable future
Most Music comes in Mp3 Format anymore so it would make it less trouble some to add mp3 compatibility other then having to go and convert every single song you want in the game to a .wav or .mid format

Pros:
No Converting
Great Sound Qaulity

Cons
Bigger size files
less Efficent
The MP3 format is not presently supported by BYOND due to licensing issues. Ogg-Vorbis, however, is a good alternative. For music the module formats are also a good choice, and tend to be smaller. -- sound
So noobs can load their zeta rips with countless MBs of crappy music? Pass
Pros:
- The developer doesn't need to convert files from one format to another. (But if you're that lazy, you shouldn't be making games anyway.)
- Great sound quality. (If you discount the fact that OGG files have the same "great quality" sticker as MP3's. Why not go for .FLAC? You've got much better quality with those than MP3 anyway!)
Cons:
- Bigger file sizes. (Only marginally bigger; OGG and MP3 are mostly the same file size, and in some cases OGG files are slightly bigger than their MP3 counterparts.)
- Less efficient. (How?)

Licencing requires BYOND to purchase a license before they're allowed to offer MP3 support in their commercial project. That's a big drawback there and the reason why this isn't going to be implemented. Why waste money on a community who is too lazy to convert a file anyway?
Falacy wrote:

People still make Zeta rips? WAAAAAAT.
You can already do this yourselves using workarounds (such as streaming the MP3 though a browser.)
Super Saiyan X wrote:
Falacy wrote:

People still make Zeta rips? WAAAAAAT.

Yeah, GOA rips with 1 extra attack, 1 changed overlay, and a different title screen are all the rage nowadays.

I've transformed my MP3 with changing the .mp3 to .wav o.o
Falacy wrote:

And Stick War Rips
You also have the alternative of module music. .mod, .it, .s3m, and .xm files are all smaller than their .wav counterparts and can produce long-playing music. They're basically like MIDI with instrument samples included, so they produce a superior sound.
Modules are pretty good too. The Mod Archive is a goldmine for them.
The majority of MP3 format has always been larger than say, OGG format. If I need music I generally convert MP3 to OGG using Audacity's export functionality.

Adding MP3 support would make for a completeness but in the long run, as mentioned, it would just cost money for the license and make games have a bigger rsc size. This of course doesn't mean you are forced to play such games...

I vote the mp3 format remain excluded.
Ter13 resolved issue (Not Feasible)

The MP3 format is proprietary, and streaming MP3s to unlicensed users puts BYOND in jeopardy.
was not aware this post was even still here holy crap this be hella old 4 years XD