ID:1039015

So here i'm wondering why random Telnet people started joining my server one day, and leaving because the game doesn't support them and they can't do anything. I switched my port and the problem stopped.

Then I started wondering, is it worth it to add telnet support to your game? What's the userbase like, will it help sustain your popularity, and if you already have a text-based game, how hard was it for you as a developer to add support for telnet players?

I could probably code the functionality but i'm at the phase where i'm wondering if it's even worth the bother and hassle, if it would create any noticeable effect on my game's userbase, how difficult it would make updating the game, how I would manage telnet players, etc.
It depends on what kind of game it is.

For games like Chatters it's well worth supporting telnet users because it allows for mobile phone support (as well as Linux support.)

For RPG games and things like that, probably not.

Are these telnet users from BYOND already?
If not, I find it a bit strange, are you sure they are not port scanners attempting to gain access to telnet servers?
Making your game work with telnet AND BYOND AND have it be competitive between the two would require a looooot of input and output.

A lot.

Too much for anyone to even bother.

If it's not competitive, then by all means, you probably won't have many problems. If it is competitive, then it needs to be either for telnet or for DS. Not both.

(Most of this only applies to RPGs.)