ID:104065

"So you want to play god. It happens to a certain fraction of us--the desire to create a world. It could be a fantastical place, a land of adventure and mystery, or it could be a secluded island, a secret hideout, or an outpost on Mars."
-The DM Guide

The following few paragraphs are a summary of my life on BYOND from how I found it, to how it's played a role in my life. If you don't feel like reading a potentially boring Autobiography, I suggest you stop reading now, and go back to whatever fan game you were playing. If you want to troll, get over your feelings and go play a few matches on Feval.

The Discovery

Let me get this out of the way; I used to be freakin' ADDICTED to Pokemon when I was a kid. When I wasn't playing on my Gameboy SP, I was on the computer playing Pokemon Crater. Now, I lived in essentially the middle of nowhere so I didn't have WiFi or Broadband. So, You guessed it- I had good 'ol dial-up. Anyway, as you could guess. Pokemon Crater was pretty slow so I often ended up browsing through other people's teams and staring in aw at their Rainbow Ho-Oh or Shiny Lugia.

It came to one night, probably around 10:00PM I was browsing profiles and saw this one had an advertisement for a small Pokemon fan-forum called Pokemon Island. Having just discovered forums in the past month or so, I checked it out. I joined, obviously, made a couple posts, and made some of the best online friends I ever had that are still at the top of my list! Anyway, I joined when the forum was about a year old, so it had a decent and active member base. I ended up visiting every evening to see what was up and chat with Pikachu Master(she was the founder) and Blastoise_Master(He was like, the co-founder).
I don't know whether I was active enough, or what but in about three months, I ended up being promoted to a Super Mod, then an Admin a couple months later.

Then came the worst day of my online story. Pokemon Crater went down; for good. First thing I did when I realized this was log onto Pokemon Island to see several posts regarding Pokemon Crater's shutdown. Pokemon Island, if I didn't mention, was based around Pokemon Crater. Had the Pokemon Crater Discussion category and everything.
{OFF TOPIC: What was weird though, was that the forums, for whatever reason, EXPLODED and suddenly doubled it's member base.} Wasn't long after that Pikachu_Master(PM) messaged me on the forums saying that she found a potential replacement for Pokemon Crater. She told me about BYOND and how it could be used to make a new Pokemon game for us to hang out at.

Okay, let me get this straight; I WAS A HUGE NOOB.
She told me and Blastoise_Master(BM) to try and read the DM guide and learn how the language worked. she'd ask us if we did and it would go kind of like this.

BM: "Yupp. I've finished the first two pages."

Me: "Um. Yes I Read The First Half Already. Pretty Simple." (Yes, I used to type like that)

Sure I said that, but in reality I didn't even read the preface. My supposed excelling in the DM language had me appointed to the lead spot on the Pokemon Island game development team. As you could guess, I didn't do much. However, what I did after that I still regret. I stopped going to the Pokemon Island forums altogether, just to avoid being asked what I had done so far.

In my hiding, I made about 50+ different keys and hid in BYOND's Pokemon section and before long, I found my way to Pokemon Sinnoh Adventures by Quiet Screams. I thought I was addicted to Pokemon Crater? This was like virtual LSD. I would find myself in the middle of the day having this strong urge to play it. I would always play the game under the key 'Dark Side Of Mime Jr' or something like that. Then, the first key I actually put to use was Fishfry. Call it gay as much as you want, that's what the key was. (I'll put a link to it at the bottom of this post)

The Spark

Now, I had been playing games for a year or two and started to get that want to make my own game that worked the way I wanted it to work the way I wanted it to work. So thus began my work on Pokemon Dimensional Rift. Seeing as I didn't read the DM Guide til last year, I obviously knew nothing as far as how the DM language worked.
I did try to work it out though. Referring to sources, trying to decode what did what, and loving every last comment made in the commented ones.

Before long I had a Pokemon game that I thought was the best thing since PB&J. Even though all you could do was walk around, train, and spam an attack verb; I loved it and it kind of built the foundation for every Pokemon game I would make after it. I'll be the first to admit that I have a thing for limited icon games. Always have, still do. So with the inspiration that Pokemon MagmaRed(now known as Pokemon Aurora) gave me, I wanted to learn how to let a player change their icon during runtime and more importantly, build stuff.

This is where the biggest asshole I've met in my life, yet one of the best friends I have comes in to play. Scott(his key is Scotty-V) was/is/will be a great programmer. He pretty much taught me 90% of what I know. He helped me make Pokemon Shadow Soul(what PDR became). If it weren't for him, I would probably still be sitting there on Pokemon Dimensional Rift wondering what the hell a 'proc' was.

Coping

Aiight... I HATE talking about this. but 6th and 7th grade was a living hell for me. I was that outcast/loner that everybody made fun of. Picked on as "That faggot-ass emo kid". I'm a sophomore in High School now, plenty of friends, an amazing girlfriend, on the swim team, trying out for track and field this spring, and I still find myself having daydreams of how terrible that time in my life was. BYOND was my only real haven that I felt safe in so A LOT of my spare time was spent here.

This was the only time in my life when my grades slipped and it's the time of my life that ruined my trust in people altogether. Anyway, seeing as I wasn't doing schoolwork I would spend a lot of time in DM getting frustrated when something wouldn't work and getting that amazing feeling of glee when something worked. I lived for that feeling! I felt proud of myself when I got something right that I had been doing wrong for the past day or two.

Avoidance

Some people probably remember when I disappeared for awhile when I was under the key 'Shadow Void' and came back with this key. Well, that absence was because I needed time from BYOND because life had finally started going back uphill and I wanted to hang with friends and such, like I couldn't do before. I also wanted to get my grades back on track so I could be a merit student again. But most of all, rebuilt that respect from my mother and grandmother(my grandfather was like my father-figure since I lacked one.)

This was a short, but crucial era in my BYOND history, so I have little to say here.

Right Now

It all came to this! BYOND is still a staple in my life. Not just a coping staple, but a social and academic staple as well. I never knew BYOND would play this much of a role in Algebra/Algebra II.
I've told my friends about BYOND, we chat over it, and I still have countless friends here that I thank God I met! Now, I find myself as a casual member just checking over what's going on and becoming more involved in the community.

Who knew a random right click on Pokemon Crater would have introduced me to one of the most critical points in my life? Well it happened and I have to thank Dan, Tom, Lummox, and everybody who helped keep BYOND going and kick it off it's feat.
You guys are life savers, thank you.

I kind of intended this to spark other people to do a 'History With BYOND' kind of thing, so feel free to! Also, thank you for reading if you did. I would appreciate comments but trolling will not be tolerated, aiight?

Later,
-Kumorii

PS: Link to my old key Fishfry: http://www.byond.com/members/Fishfry

Mood: Bored | Eating: Tostitos | Drinking: Water | Listening To: Shogun by Trivium
This could have been Journalism content! BAH! No one ever gets back to me on interviews anymore after weeks of sending questions ._.
EnigmaticGallivanter wrote:
This could have been Journalism content! BAH! No one ever gets back to me on interviews anymore after weeks of sending questions ._.

Want me to take it down and submit it to BYOND Journalism?
Kumorii wrote:
EnigmaticGallivanter wrote:

Want me to take it down and submit it to BYOND Journalism?

No no, but if you want to send a post to Journalism for an event (such as telling people to write about there BYOND history and such (make your event idea a bit lengthy please)) or something. that would work. Maybe just a post about this telling others to try.... I don't know.
And what happened to Pokeman Islandz?
PerfectGoku wrote:

It's with the CPU to my old Desktop, wherever that ended up at.
Kumorii wrote:
PerfectGoku wrote:

---
I meant the forums, did you ever go back?
PerfectGoku wrote:
Kumorii wrote:
PerfectGoku wrote:

---

Oh, well the forums kind of died off a bit. People still visit them, but nowhere near what they were. I could try and find the link if you want.
This is a bit off-topic but.. you're a sophomore? You look way older then that. I look like I'm in grade 9, when in reality I'm in grade 11. Also, i don't see how you could be picked on. You look tough.
Kumorii wrote:
PerfectGoku wrote:
Kumorii wrote:
PerfectGoku wrote:

---

Oh, well the forums kind of died off a bit. People still visit them, but nowhere near what they were. I could try and find the link if you want.

And what was your username on these forums?
Dinomaster45 wrote:
This is a bit off-topic but.. you're a sophomore? You look way older then that. I look like I'm in grade 9, when in reality I'm in grade 11. Also, i don't see how you could be picked on. You look tough.

Yeah, I was a bit of a puss in 6th and 7th grade and I'm really tall. As far as the 'tough' thing goes, I started going to the gym twice a week like, half way through 8th grade, and I'm somewhat athletic now.
Sinfall wrote:
Kumorii wrote:
PerfectGoku wrote:
Kumorii wrote:
PerfectGoku wrote:

---

Started as Starly_Lover, changed to Fishfry, went to Fish_Stix, and went to Shadow Void.
Kumorii wrote:
Sinfall wrote:

Started as Starly_Lover, changed to Fishfry, went to Fish_Stix, and went to Shadow Void.

On the pokemon island ones? Sorry I might of not been clear. (I sort of assumed you would follow the idea that since he was talking about those forums I was as well ;))
Sinfall wrote:
Kumorii wrote:
Sinfall wrote:

On the pokemon island ones? Sorry I might of not been clear. (I sort of assumed you would follow the idea that since he was talking about those forums I was as well ;))

Yeah, on the forums I had my username changed a couple times. The forums were on Invisionfree, so you could change a member's name from the Admin CP, which PM would happily do for me.
Hahaha, BYOND playing a part in Algebra? I've been on BYOND since what, 5th grade maybe? And I have never felt like DM or any other programming language made my math classes easier. Especially Algebra II, since I just barely passed it with like a 73. I don't get what people mean when they say BYOND helps them in their math class.

Also, I never tell anyone at school about BYOND. People at my school think I'm a gang member that smokes weed and has plans to dropout. They'd think I was joking if I told them I knew how to create games and design websites. I like living this mysterious life where people never truly know who I am. Makes me feel like all spyish and detectivey.

EmpirezTeam wrote:
Hahaha, BYOND playing a part in Algebra? I've been on BYOND since what, 5th grade maybe? And I have never felt like DM or any other programming language made my math classes easier. Especially Algebra II, since I just barely passed it with like a 73. I don't get what people mean when they say BYOND helps them in their math class.

Also, I never tell anyone at school about BYOND. People at my school think I'm a gang member that smokes weed and has plans to dropout. They'd think I was joking if I told them I knew how to create games and design websites. I like living this mysterious life where people never truly know who I am. Makes me feel like all spyish and detectivey.

hahaha yeah its a good idea to keep it seperated from real life, just way too creepy for me to talk to anyone about this byond stuff. doesnt really fit with my image too, im like a football freak x=
Irrelevant comments deleted.
Keep things on topic.
EmpirezTeam wrote:

BYOND (any programming even) helps most people grasp that basic methodical logic behind maths that's the foundation of algebra.

Lol, being a gangster and knowing stuff about computers can only add to your credibility. Best of both worlds. :L

Woow. I found BYOND by searching for online games when Crater failed, and Indigo started to become shit. Then I found something, I think it was, Pokemon Regions?
But well, I will always hate these people than call, emo-haired kids, faggots and stuff. Happened to me too, and that, made me cut my hair. Well, I miss my old hair :~