ID:104231

Second game assignment in my Game Programming Fundamentals class: Asteroids! Can you see a theme?

I went with the classic look:

dc_Asteroids (1.43 MB)

I got up to wave 7. It's kind of easy, and there's not much motivation to move around, but it is what it is.

Anyway, now we're on to our final game project: whatever we want! I'll be making a co-op zombie shoot-em-up (surprise!) ala Smash TV. I just hope I can find enough time in the next 7 days to make it as awesome as I want it to be. Ah deadlines, a developer's worst enemy!

(also, if you missed my first assignment, check out Pong! It's two-player, for double the retro exposure!)
That's pretty neat. The only thing I'd change is the way players spawn.

Rather than waiting a few seconds and then automatically spawning, players should be able to press a button when they're ready. Otherwise you'll have situations where a player could blow through a few lives spawning directly in the path of oncoming asteroids.
SuperAntx wrote:
That's pretty neat. The only thing I'd change is the way players spawn.

Rather than waiting a few seconds and then automatically spawning, players should be able to press a button when they're ready. Otherwise you'll have situations where a player could blow through a few lives spawning directly in the path of oncoming asteroids.

Yea, I've run into that frustrating event a few times. I was thinking of having it wait until the area is clear, but your solution is much more full-proof.

Thanks for the suggestion :)
DarkCampainger wrote:
Yea, I've run into that frustrating event a few times. I was thinking of having it wait until the area is clear, but your solution is much more full-proof.

It's foolproof, not full-proof. :P

Vermolius wrote:
DarkCampainger wrote:

It's foolproof, not full-proof. :P

I like my word better :P

Besides, it's not fool proof, since a fool would spawn his ship right as an asteroid was hurtling towards the spawn zone.

However, it is "full proof" (even if it's not a real word!) because the player can now fully avoid spawning and immediately dying.

So there. Dumber words have been added to the dictionary :(

You just used a inapt word (you meant foolproof).
I played this a few times, when I was like 11 years old, was this big touch screen arcade game at the Jordan Daycare in Columbus Ohio.