Decadence

by SuperAntx
Decadence
Take part in an epic battle over a colored piece of cloth.
ID:104253

Some of you have been waiting weeks, others months, and some for nearly a year. After a prolonged beta and many all-nighters, I'm pleased to announce Decadence is finally ready for release! If you just can't wait to play you can download the game files which are already available on the hub page, but if you have a minute stick around and I'll tell you a little about the game.

The release build has everything seen in the beta along with some extra stuff nobody has got to use yet. Decadence being a multiplayer-only game, you'll notice there's no free-roaming mode or anything like that. Rather than playing by yourself you'll have the option to host a game or find a server to play on. People hosting their own game will be able to customize their server to use whatever particular ruleset they want. Hosts are able to adjust the scores to win, change how often game types cycle, and so on. Matches require two players to begin and (at least for now) there's a hardcoded 16 player limit, though I've never played with more than 10 so it's up to you to choose what's best for your server.

If you don't want to host there's a very nifty in-game server browser. Clicking Find Server will bring you to a menu with all available servers listed. From there you can sort the servers by name, map, game type, or player count. Double-clicking a server will connect you to it. Be advised jumping from one server to another may sometimes fail for various reasons, so if you get a black screen you'll have to restart the game. Aside from that the listings are updated about every 30 seconds so always be sure to hit refresh before you decide which server to join. These server listings are maintained off-site and will remain online regardless of the BYOND hub status.

There are two maps and three game modes to play on. Capture The Flag is a team-based objective game where you must grab the enemy flag and bring it back to your base. Team Deathmatch is a team-based slayer match where you score points for killing enemies. Deathmatch is another slayer match type, but this time it's a free-for-all bloodbath where armor colors mean nothing and everyone is on their own. It's also the only mode where you actually get to pick what color you want to be!

As a developer I'll always see Decadence as unfinished and want to add more, but I figure the most important thing to do right now is just release it. The game is completely playable in its current form and to delay it any longer would just be falling into the endless cycle of feature creep. I know a lot of BYONDers are always asking for more original games, or more polished games to show off what BYOND is capable of, and I hope they can think of Decadence as being one of those games filling that role. I've spent a lot of time (and money!) on this project and would like to have it at least sustain itself. If you like the game, or if you just want to show your support for original creations here on BYOND, please purchase a subscription. Right now subscribers get a fancy name color when logging in and preferred treatment when it comes to available server slots, but I've also got many other features, game modes, weapons, and maps already in the works. As a special thank you gift to people who subscribe before the end of November I'm going to add a one-time-only bonus item to let people show off their support for the game.

I'd like to thank all the who helped work on the game, as well as everyone who played the beta. Baka laid down most of the pixel art groundwork, MdNight was devoted enough to keep drawing even while college coursework piled up, AmonR would take a lousy description and turn it into a professional piece of artwork, Lord Raven practically designed the Subway Station map all by himself, and D4RK3 54B3R was able to lend his assistance with parts of the HUD as well as being a great person to bounce ideas off of. Dutchface from ScrewAttack actually booked time in a sound booth to record the announcer clips, and Wulfon, another g1, was able to put together the music. Crashed, Airjoe, and even Mikau all lent a hand in order to keep the beta sessions hosted. I'd also like to thank Tom, Lummox JR and the rest of the BYOND staff for making such a terrific set of development tools. I didn't make the game alone, without these guys it wouldn't even exist!
Might you need some hosts for this?
Mikau's server which was hosting the beta is up right now. I decided to post this nice and early to give everyone a chance to see it.
Time sure does fly by when you think about it.
I remember the earlier testing, and you've come a long way, SuperAntx, and the game is great.
SuperAntx wrote:
Mikau's server which was hosting the beta is up right now. I decided to post this nice and early to give everyone a chance to see it.

So I see. Was just thinking about provisioning an "EU server" that would allow us Europeans to keep our pings down a little.
Yeah, sure! The host files are out there so anyone can host their own server with their own rules and their own moderators.
SuperAntx wrote:
Yeah, sure! The host files are out there so anyone can host their own server with their own rules and their own moderators.

Alright. Moderators I'll need to see who's available, as I don't especially want to have to moderate it mself. Does the game require much moderator involvement?
A lot of stuff is handled automatically. You can set which game types you want to cycle through, which maps you want to play on, player cap, idle time before being booted, and so on.

Players join teams automatically at the start of every round, the teams are sorted by player rank. If you have even_teams enabled a game of 2v1 will always be fair since the team with 2 people on it will take turns spawning.

Really, the only moderation you'll need is for people saying stupid things. Other than that dedicated servers are set and forget.
Sounds good, I'll get something arranged for that then. Any recommended server specs, or is it pretty light?
Lots'a bandwidth.

Hardware didn't seem to matter much during the beta. Usually the game would hover at less than 10% CPU usage, occasionally going up to 15%. Bandwidth on the other hand played a significant role in game performance.

I'm pretty sure location has a great deal to do with it. My ATP server for instance is located in Germany. During beta sessions the game would seem to lock up for one or two ticks every 30-60 seconds. Mikau's server located in Canada and it seems to be lightning fast.
Sounds like an EU server is worth it then. I can get ~30 ms ping to most of mainland Europe, and probably London as well. Bandwidth should be respectable there as well.

Any way to mark the server as being good for Europeans, in the hub? If not, no worries.
Yup, you can name the server anything under 25 characters, which should be more than enough for most things. "Public Server" is just the default.

Here's what the config file looks like. It's just a simple sav file converted to text for easy editing.
Bravo!
Boss.
Congrats on release!

I was going to buy myself a subscription, but... thanks :)
I hooked both you and Teka123 with a lifetime subscription because you guys were so generous when the game was still in beta. Those donations really helped jumpstart development and pay for server fees.
I have never been so aroused.
Our server dubbed "Canadaland" is currently down, and will return tomorrow afternoon at some point. We seem to be having troubles with it and I want to see if the problems occur without the game running. I don't think think Decadence is the problem with it since it's been running no problem for the last couple weeks. However, it's been (not) crashing for the last hour or so, and by not crashing, I mean the server has been hanging as though it was locked up completely, and the only way to restore it is to stop the VPS altogether and restart it. I'll have this figured out once I'm not falling asleep at my chair.
apparently the game tried to launch without downloading the files first whenever i tried to join a server, so i had to download the files myself first.

but now there's nobody on and my connection is way too terrible anyways :(
I was just able to join both the German server and (un)official server hosted by DT. I'm also able to join any server I leave running on my own machine.
Page: 1 2