ID:104320

Keywords: casual, competition
The long wait is over, hooray! I've finally finished judging this contest, and believe me it was no picnic. When a contest comes with a prize like this, it's not something you can just simply say "that one wins" to, and turn around. I put a lot of time into these games to make sure I did it right.

The winners of the contest will have to send me a page through the pager, or find me in Chatters in order to collect their winnings, I'll need you to tell me a paypal address to send the money. I'm not posting my email here for you pesky bots. >:(

Anyways, I'm sorry if you didn't win, but unfortunately, not everyone gets to win otherwise it wouldn't be a contest. Some of your games were great ideas though and I'd like to see them expanded on, so keep developing!

Any questions about judgment, or if you want to discuss your game and get some feedback or criticism, feel free to contact me in Chatters. I'm usually there all day.

Okay! Here you go! Ta da!

http://files.byondhome.com/BYONDCasual/casualcontest1/ casualcontest.html

P.s. If you have better colours for those boxes, feel free to suggest them to me, I'm terrible with that stuff.
The background really emphasizes the winning game, as it should =P
Well, if Pascal's Challenge won anything the money would have probably went to Decadence anyway.
DivineTraveller wrote:
The background really emphasizes the winning game, as it should =P

Haha, those were random colours, before it was like brownish and pukey yellow brownish, but I changed them randomly to that. I never noticed that they matched Casual Quest.
Where's my entry? I did submit to tiberath. If it was disqualified I would at least like it to be on the damn list.
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
Where's my entry? I did submit to tiberath. If it was disqualified I would at least like it to be on the damn list.

Sorry, you'll have to send it to me, I asked Tiberath for it a couple times, but he never responded.
Alright. Sent.
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
Alright. Sent.

Thanks, if I recall Tiberath said it was disqualified for being a remake of an old BYOND game. I still wanted to add it to the results page though.
I suggest adding hub or download links where available so readers can play on impulse.
Ah, thanks for the feedback, I never really expected my game to score much higher than disqualified, especially since I never even got to test it with another player (I can't host because of some annoying port forwarding issues that I've never been able to get around, and I couldn't find anyone else to help me before I just decided to go to bed). But yeah, I'd guess the little choke up you encountered was caused by my score handling code lacking a spawn() (EDIT: Confirmed/fixed this, it was a pretty good guess apparently).

Either way, it would be interesting to finish up and improve, I'm pretty sure I left most of the underlying engine flexible, whereas the game code itself will need a massive overhaul, because I wrote it up quickly before the deadline.
ACWraith wrote:
I suggest adding hub or download links where available so readers can play on impulse.

Links added

Jeff8500 wrote:

I think your game needs some kind of scoring system, larger map, and give the players 3 lives so they can respawn mid-battle, give the ships less health, and then slow down the shooting. Then you can open it up for different types of ships (weak and fast, average, strong and slow)
Mikau wrote:
I think your game needs some kind of scoring system, larger map, and give the players 3 lives so they can respawn mid-battle, give the ships less health, and then slow down the shooting. Then you can open it up for different types of ships (weak and fast, average, strong and slow)

Thanks for the ideas, I never really considered the lives thing, the different types of ships, or the lives idea (I drew a lot of inspiration from Feval; I planned on adding different maps some where along the lines, but never got to it. However, larger maps would be a good idea, it looks like it would get really cramped with 4 players).

Also, do you mean like an in game score system? I set up a really simple one with BYOND's scoreboards setup, but it seemed a bit lacking when I made it (and looking at the scoreboard, it also seems a little buggy; none of the people you played with are on it, even though they must've lost).