Decadence

by SuperAntx
Decadence
Take part in an epic battle over a colored piece of cloth.
ID:104474

Now that Decadence is out in the wild I've gotten to play with a lot of new people who weren't around during the beta. It's interesting to me as a designer to see how people play the game differently. One thing in particular I've noticed is people don't seem to use cover, opting instead to just run towards people guns blazing.

At first I was left baffled. Crouching provides players with a bonus to their accuracy and if they stay crouched their bleed time is reduced with each tick. Crouching behind cover also provides a defensive bonus in addition to headshot immunity. With all those stacking benefits it almost seems silly to not use cover. It wasn't until I started seeing people blindly lob grenades and run into groups of enemies on suicide bombing runs did I understand what exactly the problem was.

In Decadence players can be shot in the limbs. Getting shot in the arms will lower accuracy, getting shot in the legs will lower movement speed. What some people might initially interpret as lag is actually them moving slowly because of their crippled legs. Shooting also reduces movement speed momentarily depending on what weapon they're using. This is why you rarely see people with shotguns chasing after their targets for long. Once they start shooting they move fairly slowly.

What does this have to do with cover? To put it simply, people who use cover are easy kills for people lobbing grenades. If someone is sitting behind cover shooting at an enemy and that enemy decides to throw a grenade, the person sitting behind cover is going to have to move pretty quickly. The problem is their movement speed is reduced because of all that shooting they just did, so no matter how fast they react chances are they wont move a safe distance away from the grenade before it explodes.

What I did was modify the movement delay procedure to stop reducing movement speed when the player is crouching. After two days of testing I noticed people who blindly lobbed grenades were getting less kills and people who used cover effectively started living through more battles. To think one simple thing could effect gameplay so much, I now have much more respect for the people at Blizzard who maintain tournament-level game balance for Starcraft 2.

Also included in this patch is the first batch of custom gear colors for subscribers. I'll definitely be adding more stuff like this and I plan on remaking the settings menu so it's all easier to manage. Thanks to the few people who did subscribe early, and to those who haven't please remember it's only $15 for a whole year and every dime of what you pay goes into new maps, game modes and weapons. If you want to support the game, please don't hesitate to subscribe.

You can read the full patch notes here.
SuperAntx wrote:
I now have much more respect for the people at Blizzard who maintain tournament-level game balance for Starcraft 2.

I agree - it's nearly impossible to fairly balance a game as gameplay will always change - however, I'd say you're doing a fine job and keep on doing what you're doing!
Your Epic, Decadence is absolutely amazing but you also should try making a run from Zombies and survive for a certain amount of time depending on the game mode, that would be nice. Like a different version of Decadence.
(Decadence Battle Cry)

Offtopic-Also, I wish Blizzard would maintain balance in World of Warcraft, but that will never happen,14k mana, to 100 focus my hunter was ruined.
I've been batting around the idea of having a survival mode, but I'm a little hesitant about putting zombies in the game. They just seem really played out to me.
Zombies are always fun.
SuperAntx wrote:
I've been batting around the idea of having a survival mode, but I'm a little hesitant about putting zombies in the game. They just seem really played out to me.

Just make is a special forces mode instead, where-by you're holding up against a large enemy force. The round could use an end though, with some form of extraction.
Aliens? Robots? School children? OpFor? Walking fruit?

There's plenty of loopholes if you don't want zombies.
$10 and deal
EmpirezTeam wrote:
$10 and deal

You jew.
EmpirezTeam wrote:
$10 and deal

$10 will get you six months. You save $5 by going for the full year.
SuperAntx wrote:
EmpirezTeam wrote:
$10 and deal

$10 will get you six months. You save $5 by going for the full year.

I'll subscribe after I read your ToS... might have something fishy in there like Silk.
It is proven that putting zombies in a game increases its popularity 1000000%. Trust me, it's scientifically proven.
EmpirezTeam wrote:
I'll subscribe after I read your ToS... might have something fishy in there like Silk.

Hah, I don't really have a ToS. Since the game isn't ran from a central server like an MMO you don't have to worry about being banned and having your subscription be for nothing.
Chasebot wrote:
It is proven that putting zombies in a game increases its popularity 1000000%. Trust me, it's scientifically proven.

Yes, the adult form of tag, instead of running from other kids, your running from dead people with a 9mm, That's fun you got two adrenaline's when it comes to shooters the adrenaline for killing other players getting streaks, and the heroic adrenaline for being the last alive and decide to kill all the zombies surrounding you and escape to freedom. Heroic Adrenaline is the most popular.

(Decadence Battle Cry)!
Gratz on getting featured by BYOND Action. I can post these updates on the Facebook page now. =)

I'm going to slip a random screenshot into the Featured Games gallery. You can have me change it later.
I mentioned this on the game's discussion tab, but it could be an important privacy issue so I'll bring it up here:

I put the staff list from the overview page in the gallery's description of the screenshot. If anyone is uncomfortable with their real names being used, please let me know.
ACWraith wrote:
I put the staff list from the overview page in the gallery's description of the screenshot. If anyone is uncomfortable with their real names being used, please let me know.

I asked each staff member if they were cool with having their names published, the ones which were okay with it have their real names shown. You shouldn't have and problems unless they changed their minds since then and never bothered to tell me.

Also, fun fact! The screenshot you chose was a reference to Red vs Blue.
Just wanted to give my two cents about my experience with playing Decadence. And as thus far i have complaints... Awesome game! Ok... i lied 1 complaint... to friggin addicting :P

Anyways love the updates so far! Can't wait for Clans to be implemented :) It'll be fun to have Clan vs Clan Tournys!

Keep up the awesome work and keep those updates coming! :D
SuperAntx wrote:
Also, fun fact! The screenshot you chose was a reference to Red vs Blue.

Should have been holding a sniper rifle.
bro you watch too much gsl
Page: 1 2