ID:104938

BYOND Version:479
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 4.0
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Thus far we've been unable to verify or reproduce this bug. Or, it has been observed but it cannot be triggered with a reliable test case. You can help us out by editing your report or adding a comment with more information.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
When running my game (Which has an transparent output (By changing the output's background color to black and setting a transparent image to the window)) I would have a few messages to be outputted onto my Output object, but the first line of those messages would be cut off. After that, nothing I type would be displayed, all you'd see is the cut off version of the Login Message.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
- Create a window with a output which has a black background
- Set the window's transparent color to black
- Set an login message to show up
- Continuously log in and out till you start seeing faults with the output

Expected Results:
Window to work perfectly fine, any message I output should be displayed.

Actual Results:
The window only outputted one message and that was cut off to, after that it wouldn't output any text I put in using my verb either.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Randomly, almost as it has a mind of it's own
In other games? Not sure, I've heard there have been faults with BYOND's transparency though
In other user accounts? Haven't tested
On other computers? Haven't tested

When does the problem NOT occur?
Random times, it'd just work for that session I ran it, and then it'd be back to this error.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? I haven't tested this

Workarounds:
When I change the background into a opaque color.

If needed, I am willing to provide the host files to my project which actually has this error.
Really? I tried an it worked just fine for me :S
Masschaos100 wrote:
Really? I tried an it worked just fine for me :S

It works at times for me, but majority of the time, it does not.
Has there been any progress on detecting this bug, it seems to be occurring a lot more often, and it only seems to happen when I show the window as the map's pane is loaded...

winset(src, "Main.Child", "left=Map")
winshow(src, "Output", 1)

That snippet is where the output is shown and the map is loaded, and in my new project, the chat worked fine till I added a map to it, and decided to show the chat only when the map is on screen.
I know I've seen transparent output controls work in other demos before (albeit badly, because of ClearType issues). I can try to reproduce this, but if you can provide a demo that produces this reliably that will be helpful.
Lummox JR wrote:
I know I've seen transparent output controls work in other demos before (albeit badly, because of ClearType issues). I can try to reproduce this, but if you can provide a demo that produces this reliably that will be helpful.

I already have, I've emailed one to you. It was a while ago, so if you'd like, I'll email it again.
Please do. That would be a big help, thanks.
Though this issue has been brought up every now and then, there hasn't been updates on the issue, were you able to reproduce this issue? Did the files I sent help? I'd really like to see this issue fixed. :/
We're still not on software bugs right now.
Your project doesn't reproduce this issue reliably, or in my case even at all. Logging continuously in and out per your instructions was quite impossible however because among other issues the game had me forced into the character creation screen each time (the loading screen comes up blank). Rapid-fire logins were simply not an option. A vastly simplified demo will be needed to proceed here.