[Bleach] Shinzui

by Cthulh
[Bleach] Shinzui
A Bleach once again in development.
ID:104953

Well guys, this is my first review. I chose to review Bleach: Shinzui by Cthulh. I am a retired pixel artist on the game and currently a Game Moderator, but I will not be biased.

Gameplay:
This game has very original concepts in terms of gameplay. When you first log in, you are greeted by a login screen that randomly features a picture of Ichigo Kurosaki or Grimmjow Jaggerjaques(?).

There is a chat box underneath the main action, but I will get to that later. Once you click the New button, you are taken to the character creation screen. It doesn't blow you away, but the simplicity is nice for me.

There are 5 races to pick from. Human, Soul, Quincy, Shinigami, and Hollow. There is a box beside the races that gives you some information on them, including a small sentence or two about it, what classes it can directly become, and it's special skills, if it has any. Then you can pick your skin color. Your basic Pale, Tan, Black, or Vampiric. You type in your name, pick your gender, and click Create!

I picked Human with Tan skin, and named myself Christopher.

It now asks you what hair you want. There are 32 hair styles, not including bald. I picked Kurosaki Ichigo. After hitting OK, I am teleported to what looks like Earth. An alert box pops up, introducing me to the game. Then a few more pop up, each title Game Primer 1, Game Primer 2, and Game Primer 3. There are more pages for other races. On the right, I see an output box introducing me to the game, and it also is where all of the "Say" chat goes. Below that is the "Say" input bar, and then my stats. This game uses Stat panels, but they aren't flooded. It is actually pretty nice. There are also buttons right above the stat panel.
From left to right:
Save; Return to Main Screen; Rest; PM; Who; Chat Channel Selection; Turn off Chat; Bug Reports; Help
At the very top left, I see an output box labeled Server Messages. At first glance, it appears that Events are shown here.

Now, I start walking around. Immediately I notice that I am gaining stats and leveling up as I do this! I am gaining Stamina as I walk, and Agility every once in a while. After a short while, my level is in the 30s. Let's go challenge me a Hollow! I notice that there are Hollows roaming the Earth. I find one with Blue markings that is named "Weak Hollow". On the way to him, I am killed by a stronger "Centipod" Hollow. I am turned into a Soul. I return, and the Centipod seems to have gone. I attack the Hollow...and find out the hard way that level 30 is not high enough. I did gain quite a bit of Hakuda and Health from the encounter, though. Now I start Reiatsu Training, by holding Alt+P. I gain Reiatsu quite fast, but it also drains fast. I have to rest a lot. I finally become strong enough, after much trial and error, to kill the Hollows. After racking up some kills, I go try to become a Shinigami. Here is where I will stop, so as to keep this post from becoming too long.

It is fun to train in this game, which I like. There is not much grinding, and it mainly focuses on friendly(I do emphasize friendly) Player vs Player action. There were many players willing to help me out. I give the Gameplay a 9/10.

Presentation:
I gave the Presentation a 5/10. This is mainly because of the icons. They are low quality, the buildings are square, and the grass is griddy. The interface is good, but could use work. The map work was fine, though. The maps were gridded off, like an RPG.

Originality:
Aside from Reiatsu training and a few other small things, the game is quite original. There is not much else to say here.

Overall:
I gave this game a 9/10. It is quite a fun game with a nice community. I myself have lost the time needed to play, but I do go on every once in a while to talk. I recommend this game to anyone needing a dose of originality in a Bleach game, but does not necessarily care about the graphics.
"...original Bleach game."
"Originality - 9/10"

Okay, I lol'd.
SuperAntx wrote:
"...original Bleach game."
"Originality - 9/10"

Okay, I lol'd.

Why? I gave it a 9/10 because it has a common concept, Reiatsu Training. The game itself is original, though.
"I am a retired pixel artist on the game and currently a Game Moderator, but I will not be biased."

I lol'd.
KershiVelix wrote:
"I am a retired pixel artist on the game and currently a Game Moderator, but I will not be biased."

I lol'd.

I would like to know why. What is so funny? I guarantee you didn't even read the review. I was not biased.
You might as well should have give this a 10/10 since everything in this review looks so perfect. But I highly doubt this game is 9/10. Probably a 4/10 due to it's mediocre art , and bad in game functions.
I guarantee you, I did read your review.

My own review:

Gameplay: 2/10
Gameplay sucks, training by walking and meditating? That's old school and not cool.

Presentation: 1/10
The most horrible icons I have ever seen in a byond game, and I have seen alot.

Originality: 1/10
What's so original about it? From your review it looks like it is the same as every other bleach game.

Overall: NOT GOOD GAME
Yup.

PS. Nay
Rasengan3oo4 wrote:
You might as well should have give this a 10/10 since everything in this review looks so perfect. But I highly doubt this game is 9/10. Probably a 4/10 due to it's mediocre art , and bad in game functions.

How does everything look so perfect? As I said, I do not want it to seem biased. I will make any corrections necessary.
Also, what bad in game functions are you referring to?
Kisioj wrote:
I guarantee you, I did read your review.

My own review:

Gameplay sucks, training by walking and meditating? That's old school and not cool.

What's so original about it? From your review it looks like it is the same as every other bleach game.

Overall: q/10
Yup.

PS. Nay

^
It is a fangame which follows the exact same gameplay loop Dragonball Zeta established. Anime games in general have evolved little since then, aside from getting a little prettier. Though, judging from the screenshots you provided I can't say the same for this one.

You started the section on Originality by pointing out what has been copied from other games.

This game is the complete opposite of original. This review reads more like an advertisement.
Kisioj wrote:
My own review:

Overall: 1/10
Yup.

PS. Nay

You are reviewing from my review, apparently. That is not the only training, so I advise you play the game first. You obviously haven't seen the many games with stick figure icons, or even simpler, blocks. Every other Bleach game(mostly, anyways) is a B:SoC rip, which this is not.

Overall, play the game before reviewing. Then I will respect your "review".
I am done defending the game, anyways. You all say what you want. I only advise playing before giving the game a harsh name like you have. If you play, and the game is to your disliking, and you give it a bad review, I will respect that. Just have the common courtesy to not judge a book by its cover. That goes for any game you review, not just this one.
Albro1 wrote:
I am done defending the game, anyways. You all say what you want. I only advise playing before giving the game a harsh name like you have. If you play, and the game is to your disliking, and you give it a bad review, I will respect that. Just have the common courtesy to not judge a book by its cover. That goes for any game you review, not just this one.

I've played it, and it wasn't that impressive, in your review your giving it way too much credit than it deserves.
Rasengan3oo4 wrote:
I've played it, and it wasn't that impressive, in your review your giving it way too much credit than it deserves.

Alright then. Since you have played it, I respect your opinion. Thinking about it, I was probably subliminally biased, seeing as I played it for so long and contributed to it so much. I apologize to you for any biased opinions in my review.
Albro1 wrote:
Kisioj wrote:
My own review:

Overall: 1/10
Yup.

PS. Nay

You are reviewing from my review, apparently. That is not the only training, so I advise you play the game first. You obviously haven't seen the many games with stick figure icons, or even simpler, blocks. Every other Bleach game(mostly, anyways) is a B:SoC rip, which this is not.

Overall, play the game before reviewing. Then I will respect your "review".

Sorry, but playing this game could make me vomit because of its horrible graphics.

If a game is not a rip, it doesn't mean it deserves 10 in a originality. Originality doesn't show if the game is a rip or not. What is the main part of the game? Training and Fighting? Training that you were so excited about is nothing original. Same goes for fighting. Few original ideas which doesn't even change the gameplay anyway shouldn't change the originality score so much.

If you give a game high scores, you should well explain why, and you didn't do that in this review.
Kisioj wrote:
(...)

Albro1 wrote:
Well guys, this is my first review.

I am done here.
Albro1 wrote:
Kisioj wrote:
(...)

Albro1 wrote:

I am done here.

Ok. If you need some help, read other people reviews before making next one. For example, there is my last and 4th review. Many people said, it is the best review they have seen on the byond site.

http://www.byond.com/members/?command=view_post&post=99649
Kisioj wrote:
Albro1 wrote:
Kisioj wrote:
(...)

Albro1 wrote:

I am done here.

Ok. If you need some help, read other people reviews before making next one. For example, there is my last and 4th review. Many people said, it is the best review they have seen on the byond site.

To be fair your review doesn't feel like a review, rather than a short mini-playthrough of how the game goes. Your review is more or less structured the same way as this one.
What did you do to your taskbar? It's hideous!
Duelmaster409 wrote:
Kisioj wrote:
Albro1 wrote:
Kisioj wrote:
(...)

Albro1 wrote:

I am done here.

To be fair your review doesn't feel like a review, rather than a short mini-playthrough of how the game goes. Your review is more or less structured the same way as this one.

Wow... seriously, you are weird. Review should include "short mini-playthrough of how the game goes". If you are talking about the structure, my review's structure is very correct. When it comes to the structure, Albro1's review is not bad, the content and its quality is the part where his review fails.
Page: 1 2 3