ID:105317

Not a bug
BYOND Version:479
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 3.6.12
Applies to:Dream Daemon

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary: When opening dream daemon before open the BYOND.exe it logs you in as guest. I understand that;however, when exiting dream daemon to open it as your own key still opens it up as guest. My pager is online and running, yet it still logs me in as guest.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem: Open Dream Daemon then BYOND.exe log into a game, your key will be a guest key. Then exit the host session and exit BYOND (if you want) then reopen BYOND and log into pager. Still will display key as guest.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:It should let you login as your key after you close the initial dream deamon

Actual Results:

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?Everytime you open DD before BYOND
In other games?All
In other user accounts?All
On other computers?All

When does the problem NOT occur?I think you can figure this one out

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

Workarounds:You basically have to wait a while (I have restricted guest logins in my game, therefore, I have to disable it to host and test out features.

I was unable to reproduce this issue. If I open DD and then open the pager it does show in DD that I'm hosting as a guest; if I then exit DD, login on the pager, and open a new DD session, it shows I'm logged in correctly.
I see, perhaps this is more of a Windows 7 issue rather then BYOND. I'm not exactly sure. But, I've tried many times and I have to wait or comment out the guest code for me to login to my own game.

These are the steps I just now used:
Open DD
Open BYOND
Exit DD, Exit BYOND
Open BYOND, Open DD from BYOND menu
DD will say pager is offline, logged in as guest.

As I said, probably just a operating issue.
Since other Windows 7 users haven't reported this, I have to think it's something else specifically tied to your system. What you should do is use netstat to try to suss out what your programs are doing, and also make sure none of the programs are secretly remaining open when they say otherwise. (I'm assuming you're doing a full exit from DD, not just hitting the close button.)

What I suspect you'll find is that either the system is keeping something open inappropriately, or the pager is inappropriately not being allowed to open a listening port. This could boil down to a firewall issue.
I can confirm this only happens on my laptop and not my computer. So it seems its more of my bug. I checked and windows 7 ends up leaving BYOND open in the background even when its completely exited. That was my problem, and I know how to avoid making the mistake. So, in a way its been resolved.