ID:105603

Not a bug
BYOND Version:479
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Premium
Web Browser:Chrome 8.0.552.215
Applies to:Dream Maker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
When compiling, an error message comes back for every single .dmi and .dmf file saying the file could not be found in my source code. Although they are present and correct.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
The problem did not exist previous to september, however I was able to 'fix' it myself by clearing the cache, uninstalling BYOND, rebooting and reinstalling BYOND.

When does the problem NOT occur?
The problem is temperamental, it occurs on occasion for other users who have the source but never all 4 of us at the same time, even when all have the most current version of the source.
They might need more information than that, try and explain the relation between the bug and extracting the source from a .zip file...
Are the files in sub-directories? If so you may need to enable the FILE_DIR option from DM's preferences, which allows you to use non-absolute paths when referencing files in your code. If this option is disabled the compile will no longer be able to find the files where it expects to find them.

Using the full path to reference files is almost always a better idea, since enabling FILE_DIR can dramatically slow compile times.
Nadrew wrote:
Are the files in sub-directories? If so you may need to enable the FILE_DIR option from DM's preferences, which allows you to use non-absolute paths when referencing files in your code. If this option is disabled the compile will no longer be able to find the files where it expects to find them.

Using the full path to reference files is almost always a better idea, since enabling FILE_DIR can dramatically slow compile times.

FILE_DIR is enabled, but we write the full file path for over 90% of the files in our source code.

If I recall correctly, Abba's problem occurs after packing and extracting the source to and from a .zip file. Even though all of sub-directories are correctly preserved after extracting the source, Dream Maker fails to find those icon files. The bug occurs for me, too, when I try to compile a source that Abba sent me.
Try clean compiling?
Falacy wrote:
Try clean compiling?

I've clean compiled, updated, clean compiled again. All result in a wall of errors. I've also tried using another .dme and changing filepaths. Not one of the 1220 icon files or the skin file are recognized in any shape or form.
Abba wrote:
Falacy wrote:
Try clean compiling?

I've clean compiled, updated, clean compiled again. All result in a wall of errors. I've also tried using another .dme and changing filepaths. Not one of the 1220 icon files or the skin file are recognized in any shape or form.

It's probably not only the icons and skin file, but every file that normally goes into the .rsc file, so sound and music files, too. DM just isn't showing all of the errors to stop it from overflowing.
I found out what is causing DM to not find files: An unknown bug (in windows?) is causing the last-modified date of (random?) resource files to change to 26/1/2097 after being added to a zip/rar file. The date changes to the future for both the original files and the files in the zip/rar file.

Edit: the date of code files is changed to 26/1/1997 instead of the 26/1/2097 for resource files. It seems DM fails to handle files that were last-modified in the future. :P

Edit 2: re-saving the files with the strange last-modified date in DM, so that the date is changed to something not in the future, fixes the bug and gets rid of the compile errors. Now only to find out what exactly is causing the last-modified dates to change like this...