ID:105693

BYOND Version:479
Operating System:Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 7.0.517.44
Applies to:Dream Maker

Thus far we've been unable to verify or reproduce this bug. Or, it has been observed but it cannot be triggered with a reliable test case. You can help us out by editing your report or adding a comment with more information.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Occasionally (seems to be without rhyme or reason) I get an error stating that "rsc is locked up!"
Usually when I get this error it means that the resources are being used but this seems to not be the case since I do not have the program that I am working on running-just DreamMaker.

The full error message is:
loading Floors.dme
BUG: The file C:\Users\Andrew\Documents\Byond Programming\My Stuff\floors\FloorsV2_src\Floors\Floors.rsc is locked up!
_demo.dms: cannot find file

I see that it identifies itself as a bug so it is possible you already know about it but I couldn't find a bug report about it. I am surprised that I couldn't find this so maybe its an OS issue that is for some reason using my rsc files?

At first I thought it was some error in my code but then I started to see it popping up in different projects.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Open any file in DM and try to compile

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
It doesn't really have a specific time that it happens. It seems to happen around 50% of the time for anything. From complex games to just new files with nothing but one obj definition in it.

Expected Results:
No error
Actual Results:
The full error message is:
loading Floors.dme
BUG: The file C:\Users\Andrew\Documents\Byond Programming\My Stuff\floors\FloorsV2_src\Floors\Floors.rsc is locked up!
_demo.dms: cannot find file

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? ~50% of time
In other games? Randomly
In other user accounts? Tried with two accounts
On other computers? Have not tried

When does the problem NOT occur? ~50% of the time

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

This is the first build that I have noticed this bug in.

Workarounds:

Sometimes if i keep trying to compile after a while it will work. Or if I click on a different file in DreamMaker it will work.

The only way for certain to make it work is to close DreamMaker, delete the rsc and the int file and then open it again and compile.
If you go to your task manager when this happens I'm quite certain you'll see that DS is still running. It may simply be taking longer to fully shutdown.
Just checked and it doesn't look like that is the issue.
Dreamseeker closes relatively fast and it is happening even when dreamseeker isn't shown as running in the Task Manager.

[edit]: Have been trying a few things and I realized that it even happens occasionally when I cold start DreamMaker. As in I just open it and compile without ever trying to run or modify anything.
Someone recently (in one of the reports closed as Not a Bug) remarked that something on their Windows 7 system was resetting the file dates inappropriately. Is that happening to you?
Lummox JR:

This issue has occurred for me as well, on Windows 7. It seems that if a game runs a very large loop (I was testing a system with over 150,000 instances), and either a) crashes, or b) is closed, then Dreamseeker doesn't fully close.

However, the issue didn't end there for me. In task manager, when I force-closed Dreamseeker, as I recompiled, I would still get the rsc lockup. The only way to fix this was to eventually force-close all BYOND applications through task manager.

Interesting note: I didn't have any icons, sounds, or map files either. Why would it even create a .rsc?
CauTi0N wrote:
Interesting note: I didn't have any icons, sounds, or map files either. Why would it even create a .rsc?

for the interface
Super Saiyan X wrote:
for the interface

Mmm. Regardless, Dreamseeker was closed at the time, only DreamMaker open. There should have been no access.

You should also look for a file with the extension .rsc.lk in your game directory, if it exists while the game isn't running delete it.
Nadrew wrote:
You should also look for a file with the extension .rsc.lk in your game directory, if it exists while the game isn't running delete it.

Will do. I have noticed that.

I do see the .rsc.lk file when the game isn't running. However, most of the time I can't delete it because it says it is in use by DreamMaker
Since I've never seen this in action I'm moving it to Unverified, but I strongly believe this is related to issue 2113 and may represent some kind of intermittent file locking issue in Windows 7 (and possibly Vista). If anyone experiences this in the future, please post any details you can think of here. This is a list of things that should help:

1) Your exact OS, and if it's 32- or 64-bit
2) A list of which BYOND processes (byond.exe, dreamseeker.exe, dreammaker.exe, dreamdaemon.exe) the task manager showed as open, and how many of each
3) A list of all .lk files in the project's directory
4) A list of all .lk files in the cache directory
5) A copy of the project's source (you can send any .zip files to me at [email protected])

Those, and any other details you can think to include, would be extremely helpful.