ID:105733

BYOND Version:479
Operating System:Windows XP Home
Web Browser:Chrome 8.0.552.224
Applies to:Dream Maker

This issue may be low priority or very difficult to fix, and has been put on the back burner for the time being.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Description is in the numbered steps and code snippet
Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Make a new code file in a current or new environment.
2. Copy and Paste the code below into the file
3. Click->Build->Compile
4. See an inconsistent indentation error that shouldn't be there, or that the "\\"(there is no article in the reference about it) shouldn't cause the next line to show as commented out.
Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
proc
testProc()
//var //Used to set view size based on the size of the map\\
tmp //The tmp causes an inconsistent indentation error even it shows up commented out because of the "\\" above^
return

Expected Results:
Either the compiler ignore the tmp or not falsely comment out the next line or properly comment out the next line.
Actual Results:
The compiler recognizes the tmp even though its shown commented out.
Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Every Time
In other games?
N/A
In other user accounts?
N/A
On other computers?
N/A

When does the problem NOT occur?
Never
Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
No time to test right now.
Workarounds:
None that I know of.
The syntax highlighting is the actual bug, not the compiler error. The tmp line should not be marked as a comment because the \\ ending the line before shouldn't count as a continued line. The compiler reads this correctly and sees the tmp keyword in the wrong place, hence the compiler error.

There are several simple workarounds. One is to comment out the tmp line. Another is to combine var and tmp into one line. In addition, you can avoid using \\ at the end of a line as it serves no purpose.

To be clear there is an actual bug here; the bug is in the fact that DM is not showing you the line the way the compiler sees it.
Ah, alright I changed the name to fit the actual bug present here.
The syntax highlighting behavior here is ambiguous. That said, the other compilers I've looked at do in fact prioritize '\' over '//' and extend the comment to the next line, just as our syntax highlighter does. So I'd say the error in this case is just as KetchupKid first reported it-- in the compiler.