ID:106240

BYOND Version:479
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 4.0
Applies to:Dream Maker & Dream Seeker

Thus far we've been unable to verify or reproduce this bug. Or, it has been observed but it cannot be triggered with a reliable test case. You can help us out by editing your report or adding a comment with more information.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Large changes to the .dmm file (such as adding extra 'Z' locations to the map, or chaning a specific icon map wide) result in Dream Seeker not being able to open the world. However Dreem Seeker is visible in the processes window in Task Manager, consuming large amounts of memory. Whilst in Dream Maker, there are no apparent errors, and if the map is moved to a directory out of where the environment file is stored, Dream Seeker opens as normal, and runs as normal, though without a map.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Continual running of the .dmb file, Dreem Seeker stacks in Task Manager.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
N/A, To my knowledge this is not a code problem.

Expected Results:
Dream Seeker should open and run normally, without any problems.

Actual Results:
Dream Seeker does not visibly open, however if checked in Task Manager, there is a Dream Seeker process open.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time the above steps are attempted.
In other games? N/A
In other user accounts? Yes, I've attempted with several other user accounts.
On other computers? Yes, attempted on four other computers, one of which is my other programmers.

When does the problem NOT occur?
Once the .dmm map file is removed from the directory that the BYOND environment file is stored in.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
Problem has occured in various other versions, earliest being in the 4.2 regions.

Workarounds:
None as such, .dmm must be removed or deleted, and COMPLETELY repopulated with icons, which is incredibly time consuming.
Are you running Dream Seeker of the environment whilst having the map opened in Dream Maker at the same exact time?
Maximus_Alex2003 wrote:
Are you running Dream Seeker of the environment whilst having the map opened in Dream Maker at the same exact time?

Nope.
The numbered steps to reproduce the problem are not actually numbered steps to reproduce the problem. We need someplace to start in order to investigate this issue.

Is it possible this is just a case of the map being overlarge and overwhelming DS? How big are all your maps, anyway?
Lummox JR wrote:

Is it possible this is just a case of the map being overlarge and overwhelming DS? How big are all your maps, anyway?

250x250x10? I've seen a lot of maps bigger then that run just fine.

I'll get back to you on steps, I'm not the one working on the map. I only doing the coding.
Lummox JR wrote:
The numbered steps to reproduce the problem are not actually numbered steps to reproduce the problem. We need someplace to start in order to investigate this issue.

The most I've tried is repatatively hitting ctrl + R, which does excactly what I stated, sorry for the confusion.

I'll start a new environment and fill the map as much as possible, then I'll get back to you.
King killer 113711 wrote:
250x250x10? I've seen a lot of maps bigger then that run just fine.

That's only 625,000 turfs, which is well within DS's capabilities. There may be something in particular about the complexity of the maps that's the issue. It would help to know how many separate map files are involved, and the sizes of each.
Moved to Unverified for lack of followup. A test case is needed and the original report needs to be edited to address problems already mentioned.
This could be due to having too many objects placed on the map. The limit is still 65,000 at start-up.