Android Data wrote:
Woo! I'm a friend of Tom! (Check the web pager.)

I'm so jelly!
Loving the changes. Thanks for the updates!

Flash
Site
Pager

ts
Ads aren't being taken off. Websites much larger than BYOND have ads on them. What makes you think a smaller, less popular website like BYOND would take them off?

LOL! Just noticed someone nayed this.
FLASH ADD-ON! =)...
Will programmers have a way to distinguish between DS and Flash clients? Like, since you said, Flash might lack skin stuff, so we could think of ways around the issues and still give the same stuff to them, just in a different way.
Tom wrote:
For the first iteration at least, we'll require existing games to use a simplified (possibly pre-defined) Flash interface to work.

Does this effect macros? Will we still be able to use key+up/down macros? Decadence would be completely broken without up/down key modifiers.

Toadfish wrote:
Why prevent someone from creating a hub for his game? Even if it's a rip, why does it pose a problem? The reason people complain about rips is because they grossly outnumber "non-rip" games. Censoring them doesn't solve this problem, it's simply hiding it.

It fixes the problem by removing it. You can still technically call it "hiding" the problem, but there's nothing wrong with that. No face time for rips means original creations get the support and exposure they need.

If we don't want to see BYOND die we have to get rid of the rips in order to make this platform appealing to serious developers.
Super Saiyan X wrote:
Will programmers have a way to distinguish between DS and Flash clients?

Yes.
SuperAntx wrote:
Will we still be able to use key+up/down macros?

Yes. Macros actually work in our current version. I think that games like Decadence-- that is, mostly mapped-based games-- will be most compatible in our earlier iterations. This is not such a bad thing since windowed games are not exactly industry standard.

If we don't want to see BYOND die we have to get rid of the rips in order to make this platform appealing to serious developers.

Yes, this is basically my sentiment. But I can understand how long-time users would protest such a policy. We're really in a no-win situation and just have to do what will hopefully be the best for the future.

Tom wrote:
Super Saiyan X wrote:
Will programmers have a way to distinguish between DS and Flash clients?

Yes.

if(client.DS)
..()
else if(client.Flash)
del(src)

Will I be able to do this?
I'd imagine it would work similar to client.byond_version.
Yes, we'll have a way of detecting the client type so you can boot selectively. No worries.
Will the...connectivity...like, the speed at which it processes whatever, and stuff like that equal that of the current client?
Cool
Great to see some of my ideas put to use.
Need to focus on getting future developers wary of the issue of stealing if they're not already careful. I think I'd combat future occurrences, though not completely stopping the incidents. I'm not entirely sure if pixel art ripping is inevitable either. But I solely believe it relies entirely on responsibility. Don't be to naive, be smart about managing your source and you'll be A-1. Being aware of the little tricks people pull is also considerable. If you don't know a lot about coding, I suggest you to get to practicing and if you're stuck on something, use of the development forum will come in beneficial. encouraging a more helpful community could possibly do good as well, reward people for being helpful. Not reward (Not like we're doing that not) people for being douche bags and trolling the community. I personally think that would draw a lot of attention to BYOND, though I'm not no expert. I'm just stating what I solely believe and what I've witnessed when something like this is employed correctly.

But I like the whole skin change, I think its rather nice to look at.

Something like that if it hasn't been suggested before. I just to got thinking about it.
Will we be able to use Vector graphics on flash version?
Ripiz wrote:
Will we be able to use Vector graphics on flash version?

It's just another client. Think of it as a version of Dream Seeker you can embed in a browser.
I do have a few questions. If you link someone directly to your hub, does byond get the same benefit as if they would have entered straight through byond.com? I ben linking players through the hub page instead of giving them the game link directly.

I know you are trying to filter rip games. What if a group does not like a certain game and they all go and tag as a rip, is there a way to make sure if a game is tagged as a rip or original that it is the proper tag for it?
I hope in the next site upgrade you're able to link to individual tabs on hub pages. That or at least make the ?tab thing less confusing.
I can't wait for the Flash client! I think the best interface for that would be little to none, being that you'd put in it browsers and such. -Maybe- a menu bar, possibly a chat (or just make your own with screen objects or images), and really nothing else.

As far as the new site goes, I found that most icons (banners, small and medium icons, etc) looked very bad over pure white. I dunno if you guys found that and fixed it, but I'd suggest putting color on places where there are icons for medals, banners, game icons, etc.

Example of the problem: http://files.byondhome.com/Fugsnarf/icons%20over%20white.PNG

What it currently looks like: http://files.byondhome.com/Fugsnarf/icon%20over%20color.PNG

Now, I'm red-green colorblind, so I can't tell exactly what color you use in the current one; however, I can say that white is a common and easy color to use while the color you use currently probably won't be exactly used in an icon. Therefore, most any icon people put over that color will show just fine. I hope you see what I mean.

If I may make another little critique on the new site, a similar problem I have with the current site, is there's a lot of use of single color backgrounds instead of more eye appealing gradients.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6