ID:1063416

Keywords: editor, issue, map
BYOND Version:498
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 23.0.1271.64
Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

Tiles with BACKGROUND_LAYER applied to them still appear above objects in the map editor, but not in-game.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:

1: Make one turf with layer = BACKGROUND_LAYER on it.
2: Make an object and place it on the turf in the editor.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
world
map_format = ISOMETRIC_MAP

turf
Grass
icon = 'Grass.dmi'
icon_state = ""
layer = BACKGROUND_LAYER

obj
Tree
icon = 'Tree.dmi'
icon_state = ""
layer = OBJ_LAYER

Expected Results:

Being able to see where I place the object in the editor.

Actual Results:

Tile appears above the object in the editor, but not in-game.
(left is in-game, right is in the editor)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time.
In other games? Probably.
In other user accounts? N/A
On other computers? N/A

When does the problem NOT occur?

When I don't use BACKGROUND_LAYER.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked?

Not sure.

Workarounds:

Commenting out the layer line for every turf, make the map, then uncomment every layer line.
As far as I know, this is a long standing bug that the guys know about (I think). I'm sure a moderator will find the similar post and link them here.
Why are you defining the turf with BACKGROUND_LAYER? That makes little sense to me. Also, why define the layer for the tree when you're just defining it as what it already defaults to since it's parent type is /obj.
Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Every time.
In other games? Yes.
In other user accounts? Yes(src)
On other computers? Yes
It is a little hard to edit/design a map when everything overlaps one another. Commenting - uncommenting before edit and publishing is a little bit tiresome work.

Regards.
In response to Kumorii
Kumorii wrote:
Why are you defining the turf with BACKGROUND_LAYER? That makes little sense to me. Also, why define the layer for the tree when you're just defining it as what it already defaults to since it's parent type is /obj.

Well, if I don't define it as BACKGROUND_LAYER it ends up looking like this:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Whenever I cross a tile border. The left person has the problem, and the right person is what it should look like. No, the tile's not too big; it's a layering issue that is fixed by using BACKGROUND_LAYER. I defined the layer for the object because eventually i'm going to do some things with it, and it's an easy way to define all objects to the same layer for later changes. That, and the game is isometric. Layers work quite a bit different than top down, so I want to make sure that it's clearly defined.
If you're commenting / uncommenting, then just set the variable in New(). It will work one way in the map editor, and the other way at run time.