ID:107160

Just updated my ye-olde Fedora 10 install to Fedora 14. Ejected the disk, rebooted, and am presented with...

grub>

The grub prompt. Huh. That's kind of worrying.

After a bit of fiddling around to try and refresh my memory as to the syntax of filesystem access, I locate my boot partition (hd0,0), and attempt to boot the kernel.

grub> kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz-2.6.STUFF

Error SOME_NUMBER: Unsupported executable format.

Also sort of worrying! Well, okay, let's at least look at the config.

grub> cat (hd0,0)/config-STUFF

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Error 24: Attempt to access block outside partition

Well I have no idea what's happened. Browsing the Fedora bugs database at the moment, will have to boot into rescue mode at some point and see what it's done to the partitions I told it to make/install into.

It doesn't appear to have screwed up the partition table any - I've got some other partitions on there that are quite visible in Windows and don't appear damaged, so *shrug*.

EDIT: Some helpful people on the Fedora IRC channel pointed out to me that /boot is supposed to be >300 mb in Fedora 14, and that my /boot was ~half that. Reinstalling with a fixed partition setup appears to have resolved that problem. Of course, I did manage to kill ntldr in the process of fixing this, so I'm not quite out of the woods yet. :P
Haha, I also ended up killing ntldr the first time I installed fedora with my laptop. I spent a little over a week on-and-off trying to get it to play nicely with windows.
I got it working again - turns out I changed the drive order in the BIOS when I was fiddling, and that confused Windows.

No sharks for me!