ID:1077338

Applies to:DM Language

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Would it be possible for client/New(TopicData) to have an extra parameter, which could hold linkback information (or whatever the proper term would be)?

It'd contain information about how they joined in the same params format:
If they joined through a website, what website
if they joined through the pager, was it through the 'join friend' command, favorites, or a pager invite.

With such information accessible, you could gauge how popular your game is on certain communities, where it's being advertised, and so on.
+1
Tell that to Google...
Galactic Soldier wrote:
You could say that information is confidential. Do you need to know? No you don't.
Nay. If you want, you can obtain said information from polls held on your game; a lot of websites do it.

A lot of websites also look at linkback information, which they collect data on.
This could also be used to see if your game is being advertised via pager-spam, or being linked to in other games.
This also seems like a very needed thing, with the upcoming Flash client. You'd want to know where your game is being distributed.

The orients of the player that joins could be personal or secret, or whatever the case, you shouldn't be entitled to that information if they don't wish to tell you.
I guess I better tell everyone to stop using the internet, information that 'you shouldn't be entitled to' is gathered by every website you go to. Every game you play. No one needs to know what my IP is, or what my resolution is. But, they can get it anyway with some simple javascript.
A compromise for this could be having a setting available to the user to opt-in or out of allowing data about them to be collected.
Mochiads does the same thing for flash games. You can see who is playing your game, who is hosting your game, you can even lock websites that you don't want your game to be hosted.

Regards.