ID:107907

Not a bug
BYOND Version:479
Operating System:Windows XP Pro
Web Browser:Firefox 3.6.13
Applies to:Dream Maker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
This happens every now and then. Its probably the most frustrating bug ive ever seen in my life. Sometimes when I change something (could be a simple edit to a line of code that is unrelated) it will give me errors on something that dosnt have any. The errors are usually random (I think). Like this time it gave me "unknown variable type" on something that the variable type is known, and has been working perfectly. Even if I de-select the whole file, it will just go to another code saying there is an error when I know there isnt.

I know im not the only one who has experienced this, so I ask, help!

Your bug report is lacking massive amounts of information. However, it's more than likely you're misinterpreting the compiler rather than this being an actual bug. It's more than likely a syntax error on your part (hence why the bug report template asks you to give a code snippet).

For instance, if I have a simple verb:
mob
verb
test()
world << "Hello World."

Everything works perfectly. But if I was to say, add an s to the verb declaration:
mob
verbs
test()
world << "Hello World."

The compiler will come up with the following error: Bug.dm:3:error: test: undefined proc

The error states it's on line 3, however, the actual error itself is on line 2.

A lot of compilers will cause these kinds of errors because it's quite difficult for them to determine where bad syntax begins. A general rule of thumb for syntax errors is to look at the line above the supposed error line for syntax issues. However, there are sometimes exceptions to this rule.

--

Further more, when reporting bugs, please fill the template in it's entirety. Most BYOND Moderators who have access to feature tracker moderation are more than likely to delete bug reports which ignore the templates completely. (If I still had the ability to do so, I would have as well. And sent a warning explaining what was actually going on and referring you to the developer forums for advice).
This is a code problem, not a bug report. Getting error messages you don't understand is rarely a sign of a compiler bug in any language, and is almost always user error. It's hardly uncommon for any programmer to run across an error message from time to time that they have trouble figuring out. You can get help with these kinds of issues on the developer forums.

If you ever have a valid bug to report in the future, please be sure to fill out the complete template and include as much information as possible.