ID:108094

Resolved
When the map was empty (no turfs), a map control's view-size parameter returned incorrect values.
BYOND Version:479
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate
Web Browser:Opera 11.01
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
I edited this from the original because it is the same issue only with help from Audeuro, I've pinpointed the problem.

Descriptive Problem Summary:
Using winget() to retrieve view-size from a map will only return values up to that of maxx/maxy*icon_size. If they are not set, ridiculous values are returned. This is obviously incorrect behavior.

Examples:
Here is a working test project to work with the provided examples.

world/icon_size=50

client
view = "7x5"

New()
..()
world << "world.icon_size = [world.icon_size]"
world << "client.view = [view]"
world << winget(src, "map1", "icon-size;view-size")

This outputs:
world.icon_size = 50
client.view = 7x5
icon-size=50;view-size=550x550

world
icon_size=50
maxx = 3
maxy = 3

client
view = "7x5"

New()
..()

This outputs:
world.icon_size = 50
client.view = 7x5
icon-size=50;view-size=150x150

world
icon_size=50
maxx = 7
maxy = 5

client
view = "7x5"

New()
..()

This correctly outputs:
world.icon_size = 50
client.view = 7x5
icon-size=50;view-size=350x250
Did a little testing and this bug still occurs despite the size or position of any objects on the client's screen. Also, only the default map is affected.
Returning larger values if you don't set maxx/y makes sense since those are set by the map, if there is one, so I don't think that part of it is a bug. I take it the real issue is just that if you set client.view to a certain ratio then the map.view_size should be respecting that instead of the map's actual bounds. It looks like in all of your cases the value of client.view isn't being accounted for, which I agree it should.
The thing is though, the map in that project is only 500x500 and it's returning 550x550.
There was a descriptive summary and some examples in a new bug report, but trudging on through, using the workaround for the this view size bug, the default map has no issues. But now, the second map is having the same issue, and it seems completely random as to what causes it.
Based on my investigations, limiting the view size to maxx,maxy is intentional behavior, not a bug. This makes sense because there's really no reason to have client.view set beyond the actual map dimensions. If the intention is to force some kind of letterboxing effect, then one option is to work around this manually with invisible HUD objects placed at CENTER-3,CENTER-2 and CENTER+3,CENTER+2 which will provide the 7x5 view.

I did however find that when there is no map at all, the dimensions are arbitrarily set to 11x11 tiles. This is apparently due to some legacy code in Dream Seeker that gets overridden in almost every case--except when the map is empty. That I have fixed, so when no map is present the view-size correctly reads 0,0.
The thing is though, I don't use maps at all in a lot of my projects. Ultimate Jigsaw doesn't use a map but an accurate view-size is still needed to determine the position of the mouse over the client's screen. It's not a big deal with such an easy workaround but it's still a nuisance.
If it's using HUD elements then the size should be coming out fine.