ID:108123

Resolved
GetMedal() failed if world.hub_password was empty, even though the proc does not require one.
BYOND Version:479
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Web Browser:Internet Explorer 9.0
Applies to:Dream Daemon

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:GetMedal() requires a hub password to be set in world.hub_password to work, it doesn't matter what the password is, but without it being set, GetMedal() fails.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1.Create a new project.
2.Create a new verb to click that uses GetMedal() & add in to GetMedal() the hub you want to use as well as another paremeter of GetMedal().
3.Observe that it will return the value of being un-successful.
4.Now add in any random password, even blank as the world.hub_password so you can watch that now it will return the REAL value instead of saying it was un-successful.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
mob
verb
Determine_Medal_Status()
var
a=world.GetMedal("Shadow Spar Master","Superbike32","Falacy.DBZHU2")
if(a==0)
world<<"Superbike32 doesn't have the medal."
else if(a==1)
world<<"Superbike32 has the medal."
else
world<<"The hub can't be contacted."

Expected Results:
The code above to be able to retrieve whether or not I have earned the medal or not.

Actual Results:
Unless I also put in the following code it will show "The Hub can't be contacted.".

world
hub_password=""

The presence of a hub password should not matter, it doesn't matter what the hub password is set to but world.hub_password needs to be set to a value for it to work.

I can't think of why it would need to be password protected to check if a medal is gotten nor does it even have to be the right password, since any value works.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?Every Time
In other games?Yes, all projects, even a blank one.
In other user accounts?Yes
On other computers?Yes

When does the problem NOT occur?
Not sure.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
Untested.

Workarounds:
Provide a world.hub_password value in code but as to what value it is, this doesn't make a difference.

EDIT:As far as things go though I don't know that it's failing due to the hub_password specifically, my only other guess though would be is a difference in allowing access to the net or blocking access to the net when a world.hub_password is supplied or not supplied.
I was under the impression it's possible to pull medals from anywhere, we just can't set them without the proper hub password.
I'm not sure I fully understand the report. Are you saying that using GetMedal() to grab medal status only works if the game that's actually using the proc has a hub_password set in its code? If so then I'd consider that a bug, yes. If that's not what you meant, please clarify.
Yes, that's exactly what i'm saying. GetMedal() isn't grabbing the medal status & instead shows it was unable to contact the hub if you haven't set world.hub_password. It doesn't matter what it's set to but it must be set for GetMedal() to work.