ID:10853

I've been having some graphics card trouble recently, and have eventually come to the conclusion that the card has probably died. I wouldn't be too surprised - it's pretty old.

So, I'm looking for a new card. However, my computer is also old - I only have an AGP 1x/2x/4x slot.

Is that going to be enough to get anything remotely recent? Am I going to have to get some sort of adapter or something so I can fit a PCI-E card onto the AGP bus? Is there any way to add new busses to a motherboard that wasn't built with them?

I don't often play top-of-the-line games, but I would like some grunt to the card, so that I don't have to replace it anytime soon. Is there any hope for a decent card that doesn't involve replacing my motherboard? Any suggestions? I'm currently using a NVIDIA Geforce2 MX. I'm running Win98 and Linux, so drivers will have to work in those. I've got a 1.1 GHz Intel chip of some description (GenuineIntel Family 6, Model 11, Stepping 1, according to System Properties), and 512 MB of RAM.

Any ideas?