ID:109404

BYOND Version:479
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Basic 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 3.6.13
Applies to:Dream Maker

Thus far we've been unable to verify or reproduce this bug. Or, it has been observed but it cannot be triggered with a reliable test case. You can help us out by editing your report or adding a comment with more information.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
This has happened from time to time when I compile maps, normally happening after something on the map was changed. This bug occurs chiefly when I am deleting or moving objects around on the map, then after I'm done, use the hotkeys Ctrl+U, Ctrl+S, and Ctrl+K (as I always do) to update the map for playing.

When this happens, many instances of coded-in objects tend to replace other instances of existing objects, or some objects may delete things underneath them and hide the entire map. Even so, there will be no map errors reported. Changing things around in the map or using Find & Replace to modify the map any further will result in a map error. After fixing the map in Notepad, it comes back, but everything in the map is in ruin.

This has happened to me in versions prior to this version of BYOND as well, and it's annoying to use Windows to restore a previous version and furthermore to frequently have your map destroyed for some unknown reason.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
(I cannot find any specific way to reproduce the problem, but it does seem to happen a lot when I try to edit the fifth Z-level of my Blocks game map, always. Due to this fact, I might completely miss my mark here.)
1. From an already existing map, modify the map. For me it usually occurs when I use the selection tool and delete things, or when I use any tool for that matter to modify one of my Z-levels. The other Z-levels are fine.
2. After editing the map, update, save, and compile your map.
3. You should end up with an ugly, trainwreck of a map if the map happens to get a bug.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:
Be able to use the map that was just edited with its new modifications.

Actual Results:
Various turfs are replaced with the wrong turfs, a massive amount of the map is unrecognizable due to a thick layer of spammed objects covering the contents of my entire map, and a soon-to-be-corrupted map file.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
It doesn't occur too often, and it's sometimes rare when it does, it's nearly impossible to predict.
In other games?
Yes, it happened to my Thirteenth Dimension's map once, and it's happened to my Blocks map three times.
In other user accounts?
It doesn't matter which account you compile it with, it turns out the same.
On other computers?
Yes. I used a Windows XP SP2 Operating System software when this happened the first couple of times.

When does the problem NOT occur?
For the instance I'm specifically reporting, it doesn't occur if you leave the fifth Z-level untouched. Otherwise, it won't normally happen. As I mentioned before, it occurs during seemingly normal map editing conditions.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
It has occurred in previous versions of BYOND. I was hoping for this to be fixed a while back.

Workarounds:
Don't change the map, especially with a part of the map it happens to occur in. In my case, I had to remove that problematic area of the map from my game since I couldn't fix the gameplay issues it had.
If you'd like, I can upload a series of pictures or a video to further explain the issue.
Does the problem happen frequently enough that you think you would notice if it "stopped" happening?

If so, try not using Update, at all. If you ever need to update the object tree, use Compile instead.

Barring any specific complexities in the map or code, that's the only thing that sticks out to me.
It happens all the time if I edit that Z-level in particular, so yes, if it stopped happening I'd notice right away.

** After a brief testing of this, it seems to not have destroyed the map this time; however, it still would be nice if it got fixed. Thanks for the piece of advice.
Minorex wrote:
It happens all the time if I edit that Z-level in particular, so yes, if it stopped happening I'd notice right away.

** After a brief testing of this, it seems to not have destroyed the map this time; however, it still would be nice if it got fixed. Thanks for the piece of advice.

So you can confirm that it appears "Update" was the culprit?

I'll do my best to reproduce this, and every bit of info helps.
I cannot confirm this with any surety. After spawning some tiles and deleting them with select -> delete key the map got bugged up again. I did use my usual Update->Save->Compile routine again, and it didn't help much; however, in this case the entire map got bugged, and it did not have the glitch that I detailed above.
Not that it really matters, but why are you updating and saving before compiling? If anything you should be saving first, but compiling does both of those things automatically anyway.
It's a matter of habit more than anything else.
I attempted to reproduce this on my own but I was unable to get the problem to occur. I think I'll need a test case here.
Do you want to try using the map I've been having problems with?
A copy of your project would definitely be helpful, if you can't reproduce this in a simpler test case. You can send any .zip files to me at [email protected].
For some reason, I can't seem to reproduce the error anymore using a copy of the same map. I still have the bugged maps, though. I'll send you those if you want them.