IMO Valentine's day is a holiday formed by the government to un-stifle the economy (and I'm not even going to travel into my 'creation of religion' theories).
The only reason we have holidays is because of the "go with the flow" attitude demonstrated by Americans and even some of the people in the comments. They know it's stupid, they know what I'm saying makes sense, but they'll do it again next year because they don't have the balls to abandon the custom and be different. The only reason we have holidays is because of the "go with the flow" attitude demonstrated by Americans and even some of the people in the comments. They know it's stupid, they know what I'm saying makes sense, but they'll do it again next year because they don't have the balls to abandon the custom and be different. That's why all they can do is attempt to crack jokes - they can't argue my points seriously because all of my points are common sense. If they tried to make sense out of this useless holiday crap, they'd end up embarrassing themselves.
High School relationships are about learning and growing. You're not going to marry your first girlfriend, or maybe even not your 15! That's part of the "Growing Up Process".

Just because she probably isn't going to be your wife doesn't mean there's no reason to look for a chick to kick it with til something better comes along.
Wow, if only I had it all figured out in High School. xD

Omit what I said then. lol
Yusuke13 wrote:
High School relationships are about learning and growing. You're not going to marry your first girlfriend, or maybe even not your 15! That's part of the "Growing Up Process".

Just because she probably isn't going to be your wife doesn't mean there's no reason to look for a chick to kick it with til something better comes along.

High School relationships is about learning. I learn a lot from high school relationships. Relationships that aren't mine.

The problem with the majority of students is that they have horrific judgement. Most girls fall for the sweet talkers, most of the guys go for the sexy conceited slut, they always break up or in some cases the girl gets pregnant and then all Hell breaks loose. There's a dude in one of my classes right now dealing with a custody battle with a girl he got pregnant. This is just one example of the many types of drama that come out of these relationships.

Theres two things I don't like in this world:

1. Unnecessary responsibilities (i.e. a baby )
2. Drama (i.e. idiot females )

Girls are very great sources for both of those. Which is why I don't bother. The girls are attractive but I'm a lot more attractive to a quiet, intelligent girl. A beautiful face and a hot body are nice, but all that ceases to matter once you end up with a baby you didn't want and the girl is bitching at you 24/7 about this and that.
Preaching to the choir, bro. I'm married.

Don't get me wrong, I love her to death, and we have two wonderful kids together, but they were planned and we were both in our 20s, we were already married and financially stable.

Kids and marriage are a good thing, as long as you're ready.
Yusuke13 wrote:
Preaching to the choir, bro. I'm married.

Don't get me wrong, I love her to death, and we have two wonderful kids together, but they were planned and we were both in our 20s, we were already married and financially stable.

Kids and marriage are a good thing, as long as you're ready.

Exactly. I'm 17 in high school with no job. It doesn't make sense for me to be messing around with a girl. As soon as a baby appears, my life is done.
Leave it to GS! lol
Galactic Soldier wrote:
That's why you have to be like me and keep kicking your GF in the stomach until she has a miscarriage.

What if she doesn't have the miscarriage? Is that when you just go Chris Benoit?
I don't see why Valentines day can't be everyday when you have a little extra money in your wallet.
Same old song and dance.
PerfectGoku wrote:
I don't see why Valentines day can't be everyday when you have a little extra money in your wallet.

And I don't see why so many females get offended if they don't get anything on February the 14th. This is my point.

Everyone is conditioned into believing that they deserve something on February 14th from their lover and that they should give something to their lover on February 14th and that if they don't receive anything on February the 14th, their lover hates them and if they don't give their lover something on February 14th, they're an uncaring bastard.

It's nothing more than bondage.
Wow i acually agree with a post made by EmpirezTeam... What is the world coming to >.>

With that being said i'm gonna go lay in a corner in a fetal position til i get over this maddness o.o

No seriously tho... I do agree with ya 100% ET. Nice post! +Yea

Maybe i agree with this post so much because I too don't celebrate Birthdays, Valentines Day, Halloween, New Years, etc etc. Shoot, my birthday was the 20th of last month and it was just another day to me :P Guess I'm just Old Skool... Or maybe i grew out of it...
A gift doesn't mean you love someone. I can buy dozens of material things for someone and smile in their face but on the inside I can hate that person or have ulterior motives behind doing it.

A gift, like people mentioned, has sentimental value. The reason for this is the same reason we respect holidays and the such.

2. No gift doesn't mean the person doesn't love you. People at some point just started assuming that if your "valentine" didn't get you anything, they're not a thoughtful or generous person and don't care about you. Which is stupidity.

We hold sentimental value for holidays and we hope people close to us do too. Not giving a gift on such a day means her boyfriend forgot, or didn't care to respect the importance she associates with Valentine's.

If I really want to give someone balloons, chocolate, or flowers, I can do that on any one of the other 364 days of the year. What is the difference between buying someone these gifts on March 14th as opposed to February 14? Absolutely nothing. But the majority of people are bound by this custom. They already know that if they don't have some Valentine's Day cards and candy ready on February 14th every year, their relationship will be in jeopardy. So every year they faithfully bust their rear ends to find some sort of present or gift for their so-called lover because they are foolish morons bound by the idiotic customs of this world.

You are simply being silly. People associate emotions with many things, days included. Your birthday, even if you don't celebrate it, holds meaning with your parents or your friends. The day a close relative of yours died hopefully holds meaning to you. We don't do it because it's the rational thing to do, but it's only human. Hell, culture in its entirety is irrational. But we love it, so I don't see the problem.

Your post is basically asking "hey, why are humans sometimes irrational?". Why can't they be? Okay, associating emotional value with a date is not something, say, the archetypical robot would do. But how is it somehow wrong?

We hold sentimental value for holidays and we hope people close to us do too. Not giving a gift on such a day means her boyfriend forgot, or didn't care to respect the importance she associates with Valentine's.

Not 100% true. Did i recieve a Happy Valentines Day yesterday from MY boyfriend or gifts? NO... Am i gonna break up with him now because i didn't get anything? NO... Do i feel like he didn't care? NO... Sorry to break to it ya but just because you don't get a gift on Valentines Day doesn't mean your loved one doesn't mean he forgot or didn't care it means he's not materialistic and doesn't feel like he has to shower me in gifts to make me love him or stay with him... Now thats REAL love... :P

I love my boyfriend and the minute he starts showering me in gifts to try to make me feel loved will worry me...
I didn't say a breakup was a proper response. But getting angry is perfectly fine. You don't associate anything with this day, so you're not really an example.
I guess i don't associate anything with holidays and gift giving because i grew up not to be materialistic... Gifts hold no importance to me :S But to each their own... It's just nice to see someone who agrees that gifts are not important nor do they hold any value to relationships :P

So you can't really say he's being "silly" it's his opinion and thats how he was brought up or decided to think.
I don't think you're silly for not associating value with this day. I think you would be silly if you started disrespecting the value other people have for this day. I bet at least one of your friends would be disappointed if you forget her birthday. Gifts being important or not isn't what I'm getting at.
I'm not disrespecting :P If anything you disrespected his post by calling him silly for not believing in what YOU believe in amirite or amirite?
Urong. My beliefs are "respect what other people care about" and "caring for holidays isn't rational, but that doesn't matter". If you disagree with these two, and don't have a good reason to (which he didn't), yes, I think you're being silly.
Page: 1 2 3