EmpirezTeam wrote:
They know it's stupid, they know what I'm saying makes sense, but they'll do it again next year because they don't have the balls to abandon the custom and be different. The only reason we have holidays is because of the "go with the flow" attitude demonstrated by Americans and even some of the people in the comments.

yea+

Very well put, ET. People should always question what is "tradition".
I really have nothing else to comment about. People will either agree or disagree with the thoughts made on this post. Doesn't make either side wrong imo.

Have a good one guys! :)
Okay, cool. I think I am the one being correct here, though. But your beliefs are different from ET's, from what I read, so I don't think you're wrong in particular, DS.
I have absolutely no qualm with gifts, but they should actually mean something. Valentines Day probably meant something a long time ago, but much like Christmas, it's just an economic drive to get people into the stores shopping.

"Tell her you love her by buying her a Hercules knot pendant."

It's all over the media, the day is no longer a day to shower your significant other with love, it's no longer a day to get the courage to tell the person you have a crush on that you like them, or to finally ask that other person out on a date. The day is nothing more than a way for the general population to be hooked into going out and spending money.

Now, I have no problem with this, it's simple economics, you have to spend money to keep the market turning. However, the idea of tricking society into thinking that this spending has anything to do with ones feelings of another person is simply ludicrous.

If you want to celebrate Valentines Day, go ahead, but put your wallet away. Think back to your relationship with the person, and find something actually represents something sentimental between you and them. The best gifts are from the heart, not the checkbook, and in the end if she doesn't tear up and hug you, remembering the good times you've had, and is offended that you didn't spend a few hundred dollars on something shiny, you're better off dumping her because she doesn't care about you in the first place.
I understand exactly what you mean, social holidays to me are just ways for people to make money. Sure it's great to celebrate Jesus' birthday on Christmas but we don't even know when he was born. A true Christian would celebrate his birthday everyday, not just once a year, but I won't get into that. Many people just do things cause society is doing them, but some people do them for fun. You say a birthday doesn't mean anything to you but it might to me. Perhaps my father died on April 25th, and that day is a special day in which I mourn for his loss. (Not really, my dad is alive and well) But what I'm trying to say is that sure, we have those people that do things just to fit it. Just to be normally accepted. But some do it for fun. Which I can't blame them if they want to have special fun every now and then. (Just a friendly reminder, no one pinch WTRBooger on St. Patrick's Day, he will snap yo neck)
I'm not going to comment on the actual content of your post or any of the comments. I would rather like to tell you that I am happy that at seventeen years of age, you are thinking ahead of the curve.

I will only leave this for now; remember that while tradition for the sake of tradition is inherently inappropriate, the same also holds true with non-conformity for the sake of non-conformity. Be careful, as both sides of the hill are slippery slopes.
lol
Your own limited experience with relationships and the world in general is showing. Be careful you don't overestimate your own understanding of things.

Your complaint is flawed by the fact that the examples you draw from around you are all high-school relationships, which break up over all sorts of other stupid stuff as well.

'Dont follow anything anyone else is doing' is just as much sheep-mentality as 'Do whatever everyone else is'.

Coincidentally, you're fitting just fine into the mold of a teenager trying to rebel against norms. How common of you :)
Ganing wrote:
I understand exactly what you mean, social holidays to me are just ways for people to make money. Sure it's great to celebrate Jesus' birthday on Christmas but we don't even know when he was born. A true Christian would celebrate his birthday everyday, not just once a year, but I won't get into that. Many people just do things cause society is doing them, but some people do them for fun.

I think the arbitrary holidays are the worst. e.g. We celebrate Fathers' Day on the birthday of some Random Bob no one cares about just because his daughter had the nerve to organize a holiday to commemorate him. Who was this fabled man? hell if I know, but I'd damn well better have a gift for my dad when this random asshole's birthday rolls around.
This post is old, but I figured I should go ahead and say that 17 people are just crushed that you weren't their valentine.
Page: 1 2 3