SuperAntx has a point, and my Key State library that I released the other day is exactly what he was talking about.
Of course there's a point, but libraries are different from demos, both of which serve a different purpose than what I expect can be accomplished by releasing the game whole, as-is. There are certain nuances in a large project like Regressia. There's a lot more to learn than "how to put a menu on a screen."

SuperAntx said releasing Regressia won't help anyone. That's simply false.

If you don't release it, that's fine. I was curious whether the thought had crossed your mind and if it had but you decided against it, why you had done so.
Having seen Iain's style from back in his Plunder Gnome days, I'd have to agree with them. In this case, most of the people that could learn something from Regressia won't be able to follow Iain's code.
Airjoe, I agree with you in saying there's a lot people could learn about project management from looking at a completed game, but I just don't think releasing the source to Regressia is the best way to go about teaching it.

I have no doubts of Iain's skills as a programmer, but I'm willing to bet a lot of what's in the source probably wasn't ever intended for people to look at, much less learn from. I'm talking about interlocking systems, undocumented code, shortcuts, etc. Heck, even something like using brackets could make the code seem foreign or unreadable to the very person it's supposed to be helping.
I think it's funny how often people shit on less skilled BYONDers but god forbid we give them something to to better themselves with. Keep on saying things like "most of the people that could learn something from Regressia won't be able to follow Iain's code," that's really helpful!

SAx, your comment is still totally wrong. In fact, I'm curious if Audeuro will come to discount your comment considering he is doing exactly what you're saying isn't helpful- i.e., reverse engineering something that wasn't intended for people to look at, much less learn from, with interlocking systems and undocumented code and shortcuts. Yet, interestingly enough, he's still learning! And if he can do that from some disassembled x86 or packet captures, I hold that BYONDers can do the same from high level DM.

Regressia could help BYOND's untapped resource, what Lummox JR referred to as "internewbiates." Programmers who are well into their journey but not quite at an intermediate level. They still make some silly mistakes or can't implement or sometimes follow algorithms. A solid codebase like Regressia is perfect for this. I'm not saying Joe Shmoe dbzripper has much to gain here, but a lot of users do.

My point has been made and it's Iain's decision.
Well, uh... to be perfectly honest I don't think Audeuro would be considered part of the target audience for such a source release.
SuperAntx and Airjoe: I appreciate the comments, but I fear this sort of back and forth drives away other posters (especially those who may want to contribute art to JKD). Please take this thread of discussion to my forum if you want to continue. I'll be able to read it there and consider the suggestions.
About the JKD art, any chance you happen to have a 'base' sprite to work with? It would probably be a lot easier to make a character if the icon we started with wasn't already fully clothed.
Well, uh... to be perfectly honest I don't think Audeuro would be considered part of the target audience for such a source release.

Glad you actually read the comment! "And if he can do that from some disassembled x86 or packet captures, I hold that BYONDers can do the same from high level DM."

It doesn't take a senior programmer to follow some DM.

I'll stop here, Iain. I hope you consider this.
SuperAntx wrote:
About the JKD art, any chance you happen to have a 'base' sprite to work with? It would probably be a lot easier to make a character if the icon we started with wasn't already fully clothed.

That's one of the things that makes this so difficult - having a "base" is counter-productive. Think about a game like Street Fighter where all the characters are different sizes, have different moves, and fight in different ways. Could Zangief have ever been made from a naked Ryu base? If you make all your characters from a base, it would be like having 8 Ryu's in different colors (the term 'Shoto-clone' comes to mind). The Sean icon provided in the original post is the closest to a base I can give you. It's got all the basic states you need (minus victory stance and special attacks) and is the basic size a character should be.

Edit: I should mention that the actual icon size of the dmi file doesn't matter. The icon_state canvas is 96x96px in the two files I linked to, but they can be any size, like 80px or 128x112px.
If Street Fighter can have Ryu, Ken, Akuma, and Dan all in the same game I think you'll be fine with having a few characters with a similar body type.
IainPeregrine wrote:
SuperAntx and Airjoe: I appreciate the comments, but I fear this sort of back and forth drives away other posters (especially those who may want to contribute art to JKD). Please take this thread of discussion to my forum if you want to continue. I'll be able to read it there and consider the suggestions.

You never answered my HTML5 port question. :(
Regressia? Free? Awesome!
I been looking at Sean's sheet, and frankly, since it's in DMI format and converting it to PNG means duplicates, the whole thing is a mess! I figured there were a lot of duplicates but that's not the case at all. Some have animations that are very similar to the original state, so it's hard to differentiate between all the duplicates and animations without worrying about accidentally chucking an animated state. Oh well, I guess it's not that big of a deal since I can just skip all the "flipped" states.

Btw, is Sean a reference to yourself but under a different name? Just curious since I believe you used "IainPeregrine" in Jeet Kune Do 1 and it looks very familiar. :P

edit: after trying to color in the sheet, DMI limits any new colors previously made in it. :P
Neblim wrote:
Btw, is Sean a reference to yourself but under a different name? Just curious since I believe you used "IainPeregrine" in Jeet Kune Do 1 and it looks very familiar. :P

In the original JKD I wanted BYOND developers to submit sprite sheets of themselves, so that you'd have IainPeregrine fighting against Xooxer or LummoxJR. That never happened, so I made a couple fictional characters instead. In this project it was supposed to be all fictional characters, but I also wanted to bring over the two popular characters from the original, Alea and Iain. So Iain got a name change to "Sean" (pronounced "Shawn" in case anyone isn't used to seeing the name in text) and is no longer based on me - He's just based on a character that used to be based on me.

Some have animations that are very similar to the original state, so it's hard to differentiate between all the duplicates and animations without worrying about accidentally chucking an animated state.

I believe that the only image that's used in two places is used once in the standing animation, and once in the walking animation. All other duplicates can be thrown out.
I'm not basing it off of anything external. Instead, I decided to use 8 colors per sprite (technically 9 because of transparency) just so things would look consistent. And you can use any colors to want for those 8, though I tend to stick to the #003366 #99ccff colors. If you need 12 colors to make your sprite, I'm not going to complain.
I am a month late, sue me:
http://s493.photobucket.com/albums/rr294/ TheGameDev/?action=view¤t=AfroKenandBadruCompared.png

Look familiar.... HE SHOULD:

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr294/TheGameDev/ th_AfroKenCQtoJKD2.png

Iain I am your biggest fan, and stalker, I'll go with you to the grave and some other deep stuff. This is how I prove it.
Page: 1 2